Old 05-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Richard Miller

Default Frost on the Hibiscus

I live out here in the Phoenix area and I have some young Hibiscus and I
wanted to know if the temp. drops below 32 degrees, could I put garbage bags
over the hibiscus when I go to bed and take them off in the morning when
there is sunlight?

Richard

Old 05-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Cereus-validus-...........

Whatever floats your boat.

You must have a lot of free time on your hands.

It would be wiser to just move the plants indoors.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Charles

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:33:14 -0700, "Richard Miller"
wrote:

I live out here in the Phoenix area and I have some young Hibiscus and I
wanted to know if the temp. drops below 32 degrees, could I put garbage bags
over the hibiscus when I go to bed and take them off in the morning when
there is sunlight?

Richard

If you miss a night, get out before the sun hits the plant and wash
off the frost with water. Old trick I learned from an old gardner
long ago.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:09 AM
T.L.Miller

In article Ki4bf.13865$gj1.752@fed1read05, Richard Miller
wrote:

I live out here in the Phoenix area and I have some young Hibiscus and I
wanted to know if the temp. drops below 32 degrees, could I put garbage bags
over the hibiscus when I go to bed and take them off in the morning when
there is sunlight?

Frost is only ice crystals and it forms around 32°. The important
thing is to protect tropical hibiscus from freezes -- 32 and below. You
cover a plant to trap the ground heat to prevent the plant from
freezing. Some people will put lights under a blanket when a severe
freeze is coming to keep the temperature up. Beware of causing a fire
with the lights.

[IMG] code is On

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM