GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hydrangea not flowering and looks like it has rust (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/108793-hydrangea-not-flowering-looks-like-has-rust.html)

[email protected] 05-11-2005 10:34 PM

hydrangea not flowering and looks like it has rust

I have two Nikko Blue Hydrangea plants. I bought them in 2004.
They did not flower this year?
One of them looks like it might be suffering from rust. What should I
do?
Should I prune them during the fall?

Comment on any one or all.
Mary

Gary & Karen 06-11-2005 02:23 AM

hydrangea not flowering and looks like it has rust

Do not prune the Hydrangea. You will cut off next years buds. They bloom
on the previous years wood. This Hydrangea may not bloom in zone 5 or lower
with out winter protection. Let us know what zone you live in and we can
discuss winterizing.
Good luck

Gary

ups.com...

Jen 06-11-2005 05:09 AM

hydrangea not flowering and looks like it has rust

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have two Nikko Blue Hydrangea plants. I bought them in 2004.
They did not flower this year?
One of them looks like it might be suffering from rust. What should I
do?
Should I prune them during the fall?

Comment on any one or all.
Mary

I don't know about the rust. But you should prune after flowering, but only
prune the stems that just flowered, you prune right down near the bottom.

Jen

Vox Humana 06-11-2005 12:13 PM

hydrangea not flowering and looks like it has rust

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have two Nikko Blue Hydrangea plants. I bought them in 2004.
They did not flower this year?
One of them looks like it might be suffering from rust. What should I
do?
Should I prune them during the fall?

Mine need some protection in zone 6 or it won't bloom.