Old 13-11-2005, 10:39 PM
peta

Default irises

Can you tell me how much water irises need in the Summer, here in
California? I would like to dig up some of mine and give them to my
mother, but she has no faucet near the front of her house, so all watering
must be done by hand. Is this a good time to dig them up or should I wait
for spring?

Old 14-11-2005, 03:15 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

peta wrote:
Can you tell me how much water irises need in the Summer, here in
California? I would like to dig up some of mine and give them to my
mother, but she has no faucet near the front of her house, so all watering
must be done by hand. Is this a good time to dig them up or should I wait
for spring?

Which end of California? Your state covers several Zones...

Generally speaking, you can let the ground dry out to a depth of four
inches or so between waterings. Depending local weather, that could be
anywhere from a couple of days to a week or more.

HTH
Old 14-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Starlord

Now is a very good time to dig and thin and transplant Iris Rhizomes, as for
water needs, it depends on the heat, I live out in the High Mojave Desert
and have to water at lest once a week as the heat out here in summer ( 100F
+ ) drys out the dirt faster, but about once a week they can make it.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

"peta" wrote in message
news
Can you tell me how much water irises need in the Summer, here in
California? I would like to dig up some of mine and give them to my
mother, but she has no faucet near the front of her house, so all watering
must be done by hand. Is this a good time to dig them up or should I
wait for spring?

[IMG] code is On

bearded irises blooming NOW PV North Carolina 4 05-11-2003 08:42 PM
irises in october in north dakota. larry Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 09:20 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 07-04-2003 05:33 PM