Old 27-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Registered User

Smile

BetsyB "Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 11/22/05 8:27 AM, in article
, "BetsyB"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak"
wrote in message
On 11/22/05 7:35 AM, in article
,
"Jim Elbrecht"
wrote:

-snip-
After everyone is at school/work, I'll look for the right bird
newsgroup,
but you folks are a fount of information.

news:rec.birds is to birds what rec.gardens is to gardens.g
Found it and thank you!

My gut says hold on the shortening. I'd go for plain suet-- warm
just enough to make it pliable- roll in bird seed.

My birds prefer just plain fresh lard to all the adulterated ones I've
tried-- but that doesn't make for a project. . . . unless you just
make the 'feeder'-- can be as simple as a nail driven in a board, or
as complicated as folding hardware cloth.

Jim
Sounds over the abilities of first and second graders.

I'm looking for extra onion bags right now! Too bad I just finished that
huge bag and tossed it. I have 4 potentials, I think I'll be doing lots
of
onions and shallots for a few days!

Thanks for your help

Cheryl

My kids used peanutbutter and rolled pine cones in bird seed. Tie a red
ribbon on before hand.
They hung them every where a small kid could reach. This was a family
tradition and still is.

Betsy

Which would be great EXCEPT if you reread the original post, I have a GS
that is ALLERGIC to peanuts.

Cheryl

My error but I bet lard would suffice. And if you find it it's cheap and
with kids crafts that's a PLUS

here is a web site that might help u out
http://animalsnackables.com/treatrec...PES.htm#heaven

yup we used to do the pinecone idea as mentioned when the kids were younger also. but we did two kinds one with peanut butter and the other we rolled the pinecone in lard, then in bird seed and then we hung it using ribbon. maybe the lard and seed one might work for ya.
good luck. sockiescat.
Old 28-11-2005, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
BT

Default OFF TOPIC - help on making bird treats

I don't see your location...can you get hold of some crabapples or mountain ash
berries? Various birds will eat those and they'd look good hanging on an
evergreen tree too. Many stores that sell seeds for wild birds also carry a
selection of suet cakes that don't contain any nuts (if you trust the
manufacturer).

Forget the vegetable based shortening. Birds eat animal fats, including butter!

BT

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
It is a troop tradition to make bird treats for a holiday tree in the town
common. This year, I have a girl with peanut allergies, so there goes the
cheap and easy pinecones, peanut butter and bird seed.

I've found recipes using rendered suet/lard, but frankly, none of the
leaders have the time to do that.

Would solid vegetable shortening work?

After everyone is at school/work, I'll look for the right bird newsgroup,
but you folks are a fount of information.

Thanks a million

Cheryl

Old 28-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Registered User

Smile

BT I don't see your location...can you get hold of some crabapples or mountain ash
[...]

here ya go i hope this answers your question about the shortening verses the lard question. have fun making your bird treats and good luck.
http://www.sialis.org/suet.htm sockiescat.