Old 13-12-2005, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Happy Moose

Default New Orchid Web Site

http://krullsmith.com

I just completed my first web site for orchids and invite you to visit.
Krull-Smith is the orchid business of Frank Smith who is one of the world's
most highly awarded orchid breeders.

Enjoy,

Bobby

Old 15-12-2005, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron H

You really need a "Next Page" button on each catalog page! No need to go
back to the home page to get to each catalog page one at a time. Very
annoying!!!

Ron H.

Old 16-12-2005, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Happy Moose

The same menu system is on every internal page of the web site. There is no
need to go back to the homepage if you simply use the navigation menu in the
left column.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Bobby

Old 16-12-2005, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Happy Moose" wrote in message

The same menu system is on every internal page of the web site.
There is no need to go back to the homepage if you simply use
the
navigation menu in the left column.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Bobby

It is not intuitive. Who would guess that one has to click
"Alliance"? There should be a next page button instead.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 17-12-2005, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:55:48 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

"Happy Moose" wrote in message

The same menu system is on every internal page of the web site.
There is no need to go back to the homepage if you simply use
the
navigation menu in the left column.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Bobby

It is not intuitive. Who would guess that one has to click
"Alliance"? There should be a next page button instead.

I think Ron H. is complaining about navigating the 'Printed Catalog', and I
agree the current 'page number' setup is awkward. After viewing a page you must
return to the 'Printed Catalog' button, then select a page group button, then a
page by number. It would be much easier to view the catalog if there was a
'next' or 'previous' navigation system on each page. Then it would be more like
paging through a printed catalog.

I find the 'All Pages' approach easier to use, since the page numbers are
meaningless to me. But there still ought to be an option on each catalog page to
move to the next or previous page without having to return to the 'All Pages'
display. I recommend eliminating the navigation by page number, with the
'Printed Catalog' button bringing up the page now called by the 'All Pages'
button, and of course allowing navigation to the next or previous page as Ron H.
has suggested. While I'm handing out unsolicited advice, I'll also recommend
making the list of alliances easier to read by increasing contrast of the
lettering from the background. Further, Bobby could make it easier for buyers by
putting 'add to cart' buttons on the catalog pages, instead of requiring that
people move to the alliance pages to place orders.

The 'Alliance' navigation matter is something else, however. Those pages list
offerings within an alliance. When you are done viewing the offerings from a
given alliance, it makes perfect sense to return to the menu to select a
different alliance. A 'next page' button here wouldn't help. For orchid
enthusiasts, who know what the word 'alliance' means, the current setup to move
from alliance to alliance IS intuitive. I doubt it is all that difficult for
neophytes to grasp, also.

But regardless, it is great to see the nice photos of Krull-Smith's orchids.
Many years ago I bought a number of orchids (mostly brachypetalum paph hybrids)
from K-S and was delighted with them. Regrettably, they and all my other orchids
died when I nearly did and couldn't tend to them.

Old 17-12-2005, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Happy Moose

MaxSilverStar,

Thank you for your recommendations. I also picked up on Travis' diversion
from the original poster.

I have completed adding a simple navigation bar so that all the "printed
catalog pages" can now be accessed without having to use the primary
navigation system. I think this will work better than adding a "next page"
button to those pages.

I have also amended the title for the top-level alliance button in the
primary navigation system, and I changed the wording in the text below the
primary navigation system. Also, relating to the primary navigation system,
people should able to see the bold text indicating what portion of the web
site they are in as the traverse the entire site.

I do not see anyway to improve or simplify the the presentation on the
homepage of the site.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I welcome these offerings regarding any
of my gardening sites that are linked from my portal at
http://thegardensite.com

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Web Design
http://thegardensite.com