Old 21-12-2005, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
JessicaG

Default Coffee plant dead?

Hi, I left my coffee plant (about 10 years old, 6 feet tall) in an partly
sunny but unheated area for a few weeks and it possibly got below freezing a
few nights. I brought it back in about 2 weeks ago and the leaves were still
green and there were new shoots developing. Since then, all the leaves have
turned brown and dry and the green shoots have turned black and wilted. Is
there any hope? Will new growth sprout eventually or did I kill it? Thanks
in advance.

Old 21-12-2005, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"JessicaG" wrote in message
Hi, I left my coffee plant (about 10 years old, 6 feet tall) in an partly
sunny but unheated area for a few weeks and it possibly got below freezing
a few nights. I brought it back in about 2 weeks ago and the leaves were
still green and there were new shoots developing. Since then, all the
leaves have turned brown and dry and the green shoots have turned black
and wilted. Is there any hope? Will new growth sprout eventually or did I
kill it? Thanks in advance.

Try pruning the branches back a very little at a time to see if any of them
still contain greenish wood, as opposed to dry wood which snaps off easily.

Old 22-12-2005, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:29:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"JessicaG" wrote in message
Hi, I left my coffee plant (about 10 years old, 6 feet tall) in an partly
sunny but unheated area for a few weeks and it possibly got below freezing
a few nights. I brought it back in about 2 weeks ago and the leaves were
still green and there were new shoots developing. Since then, all the
leaves have turned brown and dry and the green shoots have turned black
and wilted. Is there any hope? Will new growth sprout eventually or did I
kill it? Thanks in advance.

Try pruning the branches back a very little at a time to see if any of them
still contain greenish wood, as opposed to dry wood which snaps off easily.

You can also ascertain this w/o pruning by scraping the side of a
branch with your fingernail. If it reveals "greenish wood", all you
need to do is keep it fed and watered, judiciously,and wait for
results. Be sure it has enough light, natural or otherwise.

Persephone

Old 22-12-2005, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote:

"JessicaG" wrote in message
[...]

It makes no sense to feed a plant with no leaves.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5