GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Recommendation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/110345-tree-recommendation.html)

[email protected] 05-01-2006 09:42 PM

Tree Recommendation

I live sort of in between zones 5 and 6 in the lattitude of
Indianapolis, IN, can someone recommend a good tree or shrub that would
fit this description? I want to screen out an eye sore that I see out
a window that is in the 6-12 height range, so i want the tree to get
leafy,dense, & have horizontal growth in that height range, I don't
care if it gets to 25-30 ft, but no higher. I have some rather large
trees near (5-6 ft away) this area that prevent it from getting 100%
sun. I was going to pick a Bradford Pear, but many sites online
recommend it to get full sun. Can it grow well in "spotty off/on" sun?
Any other better suggestions? Thank you.

cardarch 05-01-2006 10:38 PM

Tree Recommendation

hawthorne - crataegus viridis 'winter king' would be nice. it's a
beautiful tree with its winter berries, it flowers in the spring, has
beautiful bark and is drought tolerant - well suited to street sites
and your back yard as well.

Carolyn LeCrone 06-01-2006 12:08 AM

Tree Recommendation

Bradford pear is rather brittle and limbs break in windy weather. They are
no longer advised in our area. Also, in zone 6 and 7 they reseed freely and
threaten indigenous trees.
Carolyn
oups.com...

Dwayne 06-01-2006 03:12 AM

Tree Recommendation

Fu;; sun is described as between 6 to 8 hours of sun a day. Watch the area
your are concerned with and time it and see how close you are to reaching 6
hours. You might consider a full sized cherry, apricot or peach tree also.

Dwayne

ups.com...

Emery Davis 06-01-2006 09:08 AM

Tree Recommendation

On 5 Jan 2006 13:42:52 -0800
wrote:

] I live sort of in between zones 5 and 6 in the lattitude of
] Indianapolis, IN, can someone recommend a good tree or shrub that would
] fit this description? I want to screen out an eye sore that I see out
] a window that is in the 6-12 height range, so i want the tree to get
] leafy,dense, & have horizontal growth in that height range, I don't
] care if it gets to 25-30 ft, but no higher. I have some rather large
] trees near (5-6 ft away) this area that prevent it from getting 100%
] sun. I was going to pick a Bradford Pear, but many sites online
] recommend it to get full sun. Can it grow well in "spotty off/on" sun?
] Any other better suggestions? Thank you.
]

How about an Amur Maple? Acer tartaricum subsp. ginnala
forms a wide very bushy shrub, has very decorative red samaras against
deep green leaves in summer, and excellent fall color. Unlikely
to get larger than your target it is none the less a rapid grower,
takes wind well and isn't bothered by too much or too little sun.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

[email protected] 06-01-2006 03:25 PM

Tree Recommendation

Chionanthus comes to mind first, followed by Eastern redbud. Here is a
link to the first.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...irginicus.html

[email protected] 07-01-2006 01:05 AM

Tree Recommendation

Look into either a fringetree- Chionanthus
Or an Eastern Redbud Cercis

Mr. Bill 18-01-2006 02:59 AM

Tree Recommendation

On 5-Jan-2006, wrote:

I want to screen out an eye sore that I see out
a window that is in the 6-12 height range, so i want the tree to get
leafy,dense, & have horizontal growth in that height range, I don't
care if it gets to 25-30 ft, but no higher. I have some rather large
trees near (5-6 ft away) this area that prevent it from getting 100%
sun.

I would use good old American Boxwood.

Mr. Bill