Old 05-01-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree Recommendation

I live sort of in between zones 5 and 6 in the lattitude of
Indianapolis, IN, can someone recommend a good tree or shrub that would
fit this description? I want to screen out an eye sore that I see out
a window that is in the 6-12 height range, so i want the tree to get
leafy,dense, & have horizontal growth in that height range, I don't
care if it gets to 25-30 ft, but no higher. I have some rather large
trees near (5-6 ft away) this area that prevent it from getting 100%
sun. I was going to pick a Bradford Pear, but many sites online
recommend it to get full sun. Can it grow well in "spotty off/on" sun?
Any other better suggestions? Thank you.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carolyn LeCrone

Bradford pear is rather brittle and limbs break in windy weather. They are
no longer advised in our area. Also, in zone 6 and 7 they reseed freely and
threaten indigenous trees.
Carolyn
"cardarch" wrote in message
oups.com...
hawthorne - crataegus viridis 'winter king' would be nice. it's a
beautiful tree with its winter berries, it flowers in the spring, has
beautiful bark and is drought tolerant - well suited to street sites
and your back yard as well.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Fu;; sun is described as between 6 to 8 hours of sun a day. Watch the area
your are concerned with and time it and see how close you are to reaching 6
hours. You might consider a full sized cherry, apricot or peach tree also.

Dwayne

ups.com...

Old 06-01-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chionanthus comes to mind first, followed by Eastern redbud. Here is a
link to the first.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...irginicus.html

Old 07-01-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Look into either a fringetree- Chionanthus
Or an Eastern Redbud Cercis

[IMG] code is On

Tree recommendation p.k. United Kingdom 13 30-04-2005 08:15 PM
Solstice tree recommendation Blue Gardening 13 05-02-2005 09:53 AM
GQT. Cherry tree recommendation? Lee and Kath United Kingdom 3 31-10-2004 09:20 AM
Tree recommendation Mark Lawns 9 01-05-2004 12:02 AM
Tree Recommendation - Minneapolis Area Joseph Paturbo Gardening 3 11-03-2003 03:56 PM