GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question best, longest growing season in US (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/110381-question-re-best-longest-growing-season-us.html)

Boxwood Studios 07-01-2006 03:38 AM

Question best, longest growing season in US

Hi: I'm curious about what area of the country is considered to have
the longest growing season and the best land to grow - what we used to
call a "truck garden" - fruit trees, vegetables and flowers? I'm
thinking somewhere in the south?

Thanks,
Connie

Anthony B 07-01-2006 03:59 AM

Question best, longest growing season in US

"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi: I'm curious about what area of the country is considered to have
the longest growing season and the best land to grow - what we used to
call a "truck garden" - fruit trees, vegetables and flowers? I'm
thinking somewhere in the south?

Thanks,
Connie

Connie, I would have to say the best place for a 'truck' garden would have
to be south eastern texas, just inland enough to avoid any potential
tropical storms. Expect a winter climate zone of 8-9.

Others may disagree

Anthony B.

Boxwood Studios 07-01-2006 04:01 AM

Question best, longest growing season in US

Southeast Texas? Really? What cities?

presley 07-01-2006 05:53 AM

Question best, longest growing season in US

I'm guessing some near-coastal areas of Southern California would be more
"usable" year-round than the deep south. Most spring cool weather crops
could still be grown there year round, and yet there's enough heat for
summer crops like beans and tomatoes. Flowers would be less susceptible to
driving rains and thunderstorms in summer, and to frost damage in winter.

BattMeals 07-01-2006 06:14 AM

Boxwood Studios wrote:
Hi: I'm curious about what area of the country is considered to have
the longest growing season and the best land to grow - what we used to
call a "truck garden" - fruit trees, vegetables and flowers? I'm
thinking somewhere in the south?

Thanks,
Connie

Salinas, CA. Only crops/trees that require a lot of heat or cold to
produce do not grow well here. I grow pretty much year-round, selecting
plants to match the season. I always have flowers of some sort growing.

The downside is that it is a very expensive place to live.

-matt

Cereus-validus-........... 07-01-2006 06:25 PM

Question best, longest growing season in US

Hawaii is in the west. Far west in the Pacific ocean.

Maybe he wants to start a truck farm in Brownsville, Texas with illegal
aliens picking fruits & veggies?