Old 19-01-2006, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
NGoodman

Default Star Jasmine die-off

A bed of Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) in my yard started
dying last spring after unusually heavy spring rains (Northern
California). The leaves turn bright red in patches, young leaves turn
entirely red, then the entire plant defoliates and dies. I replaced the
plants that died with one-gallon nursery stock, but these too are
showing signs of the disease and are not thriving. Fertilizer and
additional water don't help. I have recently noticed this happening to
the star jasmine around my workplace as well.

This plant is a mainstay of gardens in my area, and has always been
long-lived and pest- and disease-free. I have plants that have lasted
for 15 years with no supplemental water or fertilizer, and have made it
through freezes and droughts with no problem. Any ideas? Can this
condition be treated, or should I give up on star jasmine?