Old 26-03-2003, 02:08 AM
griffon

Default Kluis Sensation Rhody

Usually things like this can be learned through web searches or one of
my many gardening books, but I keep finding conflicting opinions on
how much sun tolerence this Rhodondron (sp?) can take. Does anyone
have personal experience with this plant? I have found sites that
claim it will burn badly in all but deep shade and I have found sites
that suggest it can take full sun even in the upper south. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.
Old 26-03-2003, 04:32 PM

The amount of sun a rhododendron can take depends on temperature. If the
temperature is cool, say 70F or less, almost all rhodos can take full sun
without suffering. On the other hand, very few rhodos can handle a long
summer of 90F days in full sun. Since this temperature stuff is dependent
on climate zone, you need to specify a climate zone in order to get an
answer to your question.

I have not grown R. 'Kluis sensation', but a similiar hybrid R. 'Jean
Marie de Montague' does not do well in full sun here in zone 6B.

--beeky

Old 26-03-2003, 05:20 PM
paghat

In article , wrote:

The amount of sun a rhododendron can take depends on temperature. If the
temperature is cool, say 70F or less, almost all rhodos can take full sun
without suffering. On the other hand, very few rhodos can handle a long
summer of 90F days in full sun. Since this temperature stuff is dependent
on climate zone, you need to specify a climate zone in order to get an
answer to your question.

I have not grown R. 'Kluis sensation', but a similiar hybrid R. 'Jean
Marie de Montague' does not do well in full sun here in zone 6B.

--beeky

Greer's guide marks "Jean Marie" as sun- & heat-tolerant, but marks
"Kluis" as neither.

griffon wrote:

Usually things like this can be learned through web searches or one of
my many gardening books, but I keep finding conflicting opinions on
how much sun tolerence this Rhodondron (sp?) can take. Does anyone
have personal experience with this plant? I have found sites that
claim it will burn badly in all but deep shade and I have found sites
that suggest it can take full sun even in the upper south. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.

"Kluis" would suffer in full sun, but many large rhododendrons classified
broadly as "Ironclads" tolerate a considerable amount of sun, up to &
including full sun. Also many dwarf azaleas want more sun than usually
believed but they have their limits, & deciduous azaleas commonly want a
lot of sun except right on their shallow roots. If you want to work with
lots of rhodies, Greer's Guidebook is worth buying, the quick-reference in
the back identifies which are sun-hardy, plus which are hardiest farther
north. If you only need a couple rhodies it might not be worth buying the
book but get it from the library.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

[IMG] code is On

Stricken rhody! What to do? Eddy United Kingdom 1 01-07-2010 07:22 PM
Brown Rhody leaves Ged United Kingdom 1 29-08-2007 11:14 PM
Concerned..Badly sunburned Rhody struggling maestro Gardening 7 27-08-2005 01:59 AM
garden tours / rhody digger doug Gardening 7 07-01-2004 07:42 PM
Transplanted Rhody is dying. HELP please! Brendan OMara Gardening 2 08-12-2003 06:32 PM