GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is it herb or weed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/11746-herb-weed.html)

Doctoroe 26-03-2003 07:08 PM

Is it herb or weed?

Is this an herb or a weed? It popped up in the herb garden. I can't
remember planting it. It has no obvious herb smell. But it sure
looks like some kind of herb. Southeastern US Zone 7. Identify
anyone?
Thanks
http://www.farmphoto.com/homestead/m....asp?mid=37908

Cereoid+10+ 27-03-2003 04:08 AM

Is it herb or weed?

It looks like Ranunculus bulbosus, a "Buttercup". You decide.

http://www.uib.es/depart/dba/botanic...ulus/bulbosus/

om...

Jane 28-03-2003 01:56 AM

Is it herb or weed?

It could be Italian flat leaf parsley if you let last year's go to seed, or
if it's really large, say 4-6 feet tall in a month or two it could be
lovage...tastes like celery. On the other hand, it may be a weed.
Sorry, I can't be more certain.
Jane

om...

SugarChile 28-03-2003 03:32 AM

Is it herb or weed?

My first reaction was that it looks like the basal foliage for lovage, but
I also can't quite tell from the picture. You said it has no obvious herb
smell; did you try crushing a leaf? Lovage has a celery/anise smell.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Jane" wrote in message
et...
It could be Italian flat leaf parsley if you let last year's go to seed,

or
if it's really large, say 4-6 feet tall in a month or two it could be
lovage...tastes like celery. On the other hand, it may be a weed.
Sorry, I can't be more certain.
Jane

om...

Frogleg 29-03-2003 12:08 PM

Is it herb or weed?

"Doctoroe" wrote
Is this an herb or a weed? It popped up in the herb garden. I can't
remember planting it. It has no obvious herb smell. But it sure
looks like some kind of herb. Southeastern US Zone 7. Identify
anyone?
Thanks
http://www.farmphoto.com/homestead/m....asp?mid=37908

I think Ceriod was spot-on with Buttercup. You give no indication as
to size -- the buttercups that come up in my lawn are quite
low-growing, but then, they're in the middle of thick grass and
regularly mowed down.