GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   For Victoria: Torching the sedge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/12225-victoria-torching-sedge.html)

zhanataya 30-03-2003 02:32 AM

For Victoria: Torching the sedge

How well did the torch work for you ? I've already got it popping up
all over. I thought I might try it if you think it will help.
Certainly nothing else has done much good.

zhan

TOM KAN PA 30-03-2003 02:32 AM

For Victoria: Torching the sedge

Torching The Sedge?
Sounds like you've come up with the title for the next Harry Potter book!

Night Kitty 30-03-2003 02:32 AM

For Victoria: Torching the sedge

Naw, that's just how paghat trims her **** hair!

animaux 30-03-2003 02:32 AM

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:29:40 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

How well did the torch work for you ? I've already got it popping up
all over. I thought I might try it if you think it will help.
Certainly nothing else has done much good.

zhan

I'm finally finished laughing at another' response! Anyway, I have not used it
yet because the sedge doesn't seem to be coming up yet. We're a little behind
due to the late ice storm several weeks ago. We may have a light frost tonight.

In the few beds I've cleaned up I was able to pull the nut sedge out with the
nuts. In soil which is not friable (it's a delicate balance of watering and
timing) I haven't attempted to remove the nuts.

Last year we lay down a ton of newspapers and mulch on top all around the beds
in hopes of quelling the further development and disturbance of the nutlets in
the ground.

When I start to torch, I will announce my findings!
Victoria

zhanataya 30-03-2003 02:44 AM

On 29 Mar 2003 19:48:19 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Torching The Sedge?
Sounds like you've come up with the title for the next Harry Potter book!

Now there's an idea maybe the wizard has a formula to get rid of
sedge.

jammer 30-03-2003 02:56 AM

For Victoria: Torching the sedge

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:50:09 GMT, animaux
wrote:

[...]

And i'm laughing because i had to think about that first line and then
found myself reading of nuts and nutlets. Or something like that. (I
will go look at nut sedge)

Sorry, i will go punish myself for this posting.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

zhanataya 30-03-2003 02:56 AM

wrote:

How well did the torch work for you ? I've already got it popping up
all over. I thought I might try it if you think it will help.
Certainly nothing else has done much good.

zhan

I'm finally finished laughing at another' response!

I know what you mean I strangled coffee out my nose onto my desk.
I'll just be patient and see what your results are.

JStubbs358 30-03-2003 09:56 AM

For Victoria: Torching the sedge

Let me make sure I understand. You are graciously doing a test for us on how to
get rid of that horrible nuts sedge by burning it? How do you keep the rest of
things from burning? and why would the little nuts underground care? wouldn't
hey come back greener like your yard when you accidently burn it down?
judy7b

madgarder 30-03-2003 01:32 PM

For Victoria: Torching the sedge

nothing like coffee outa the nose holes onto the keyboard to wake you up,
eh? howze about SNOW covering everything while yer reading this and
laughing yer ass off?? (I just hope Paggers sees the humor and has a good
laugh, and ignores replying back g, geeze, torching the sedge, nuts and
nutlets, snow..........this is one wonderful thread that's started up!!
GBSEG madgardener going to make some hot cocoa

TOM KAN PA 30-03-2003 03:08 PM

For Victoria: Torching the sedge

Subject: For Victoria: Torching the sedge
From: (JStubbs358
____Reply Separator_____
Actually, she said, "In the few beds I've cleaned up I was able to pull the nut
sedge out with the nuts. "

This of course caused me to cross my legs and wince!

animaux 30-03-2003 10:20 PM

For Victoria: Torching the sedge

Juty, juty, juty; we are talking about pre-existing nutsedge. These are
produced en masse by way of soil disturbance. In many cases the only way to get
rid of it is to pull it out very gently.

Last year we were discussing using one of those small torches with propane gas
to burn the small leaves as they emerge. If you cut off the part of the plant
which is photosynthesized, you can contain the growth of the nuts in the ground.
Every year I try to remove more and more of it. To date I know of no way to
kill it other than removal. Not even synthetic chemicals are designed to kill
it. They SAY it will kill it, but it doesn't get it all. Nutsedge can stay
dormant in soil for EVER. A little disturbed soil and voila, nutsedge.