GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree/Shrub recommendations for Pac.Northwest (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/123499-tree-shrub-recommendations-pac-northwest.html)

Sonia Van Tassel 13-02-2006 04:54 AM

Tree/Shrub recommendations for Pac.Northwest

Hi,

Looking for some trees for the pacific northwest. One spot is shady
most of the day with a little late afternoon sun and another is fairly
sunny.

We already have a flowering crabapple, a smoke tree and a dogwood.

Looking for max of about 20 feet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Sonia

[email protected] 13-02-2006 06:49 AM

Tree/Shrub recommendations for Pac.Northwest

It may seem mundane, but how about Rhodies? Or maybe a deciduous
azalea? Or....? Too many choices bouncing in my head. Maybe a Vine
Maple.

bahB (I miss the rainy region)

Travis M. 13-02-2006 08:49 PM

Tree/Shrub recommendations for Pac.Northwest

"Sonia Van Tassel" wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

Looking for some trees for the pacific northwest. One spot is
shady
most of the day with a little late afternoon sun and another is
fairly sunny.

We already have a flowering crabapple, a smoke tree and a
dogwood.

Looking for max of about 20 feet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Sonia

An Acer (Maple) comes to mind. Some need some shade. Where in
the PNW are you.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Emery Davis 13-02-2006 10:52 PM

Tree/Shrub recommendations for Pac.Northwest

On 12 Feb 2006 22:49:44 -0800
wrote:

It may seem mundane, but how about Rhodies? Or maybe a deciduous
azalea? Or....? Too many choices bouncing in my head. Maybe a Vine
Maple.

Vine maple is a good choice, because they're native to the pacific NW.

How about Acer circinatum 'Monroe', which was discovered along
the McKenzie river in Oregon? To about 15 ft. Looks a lot like
the famous A. japonicum 'Aconitifolium' to which it is probably
related. (Circinatum in general I mean, not 'Monroe' particularly.)

Lots of other maples might fit the bill. A couple of nice variegated
ones that will grow to around the right size are A. x conspicuum
'Silver Cardinal' or A. rufinerve 'Albolimbatum.'

You don't say what width you're looking to fill, or any other
criteria, so it's hard to know what to recommend further. There
are certainly many A. palmatum to fit almost any space.

HTH

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Sonia Van Tassel 14-02-2006 06:49 AM

Tree/Shrub recommendations for Pac.Northwest

Hi,

Thanks for the replies...

I'm in the Seattle area. Kind of looking for a tree in the back of a
border to create a little privacy on one side of our yard. We need to
fill in with a couple more trees and I'm trying to plant things that
will add interest at different times of years (the crabapple for
blooms, the smoke tree for color, etc..).

One part of the yard gets quite a bit of sun and picking a tree doesn't
seem that challenging. I am mainly struggling with the shady area. It
is actually next to a rhodie that is doing quite well. In the winter,
its a pretty cold and shady spot.

Thanks.