Old 13-02-2006, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sonia Van Tassel

Default Tree/Shrub recommendations for Pac.Northwest

Hi,

Looking for some trees for the pacific northwest. One spot is shady
most of the day with a little late afternoon sun and another is fairly
sunny.

We already have a flowering crabapple, a smoke tree and a dogwood.

Looking for max of about 20 feet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Sonia

Old 13-02-2006, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

It may seem mundane, but how about Rhodies? Or maybe a deciduous
azalea? Or....? Too many choices bouncing in my head. Maybe a Vine
Maple.

bahB (I miss the rainy region)

Old 13-02-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Sonia Van Tassel" wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

Looking for some trees for the pacific northwest. One spot is
shady
most of the day with a little late afternoon sun and another is
fairly sunny.

We already have a flowering crabapple, a smoke tree and a
dogwood.

Looking for max of about 20 feet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Sonia

An Acer (Maple) comes to mind. Some need some shade. Where in
the PNW are you.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 14-02-2006, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sonia Van Tassel

Hi,

Thanks for the replies...

I'm in the Seattle area. Kind of looking for a tree in the back of a
border to create a little privacy on one side of our yard. We need to
fill in with a couple more trees and I'm trying to plant things that
will add interest at different times of years (the crabapple for
blooms, the smoke tree for color, etc..).

One part of the yard gets quite a bit of sun and picking a tree doesn't
seem that challenging. I am mainly struggling with the shady area. It
is actually next to a rhodie that is doing quite well. In the winter,
its a pretty cold and shady spot.

Thanks.