GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Don't buy from Gurneys (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/123740-dont-buy-gurneys.html)

higgledy 21-02-2006 08:19 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

I am sure you expereinced gardners already know this, but Gurney's is
crazy with thier prices. Which mail order places do you buy from?

Doug Kanter 21-02-2006 08:27 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am sure you expereinced gardners already know this, but Gurney's is
crazy with thier prices. Which mail order places do you buy from?

Crazy compared to whom?

George Shirley 21-02-2006 09:05 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

higgledy wrote:
I am sure you expereinced gardners already know this, but Gurney's is
crazy with thier prices. Which mail order places do you buy from?

Pinetree Seeds and Burpee's.

George

higgledy 22-02-2006 01:48 AM

Don't buy from Gurneys

Well, they charge the same prices as does my local Homoe Depot. So why
pay for shipping? That is crazy

Doug Kanter 22-02-2006 03:18 AM

Don't buy from Gurneys

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, they charge the same prices as does my local Homoe Depot. So why
pay for shipping? That is crazy

Variety, maybe. And, a month from now, the Home Depot morons will be doing
everything they can to murder their nursery stock. :-)

Cereus-validus-........... 22-02-2006 11:54 AM

Don't buy from Gurneys

You tell 'em, Moroni.

Some HD managers are worse than the others.

Don't get you hopes up expecting any of them giving a damn about some silly
plants. They're in the hardware business not florists. They get their
gardening experts straight out of high school!!!!

"KCnRichmond" wrote in message
Easy moron. Not all HD stores are the same.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

oups.com...

Mel M Kelly 22-02-2006 02:23 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

We have a contest around here to see if Home Depot or Wal-Mart can get
the most ideots working with the plants. Plus they don't pay any
attention to what area plants should be sent to. You are better off
going to a good greenhouse in your area.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Doug Kanter 22-02-2006 03:12 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
We have a contest around here to see if Home Depot or Wal-Mart can get
the most ideots working with the plants. Plus they don't pay any
attention to what area plants should be sent to. You are better off
going to a good greenhouse in your area.

Here, they can't seem to hire anyone who notices that six-packs dry out in
about 23 on a warm day. The plants look like crap within 2 weeks of being
put on display.

Wild Bill 22-02-2006 05:07 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

"George Shirley" wrote in message
higgledy wrote:
I am sure you expereinced gardners already know this, but Gurney's is
crazy with thier prices. Which mail order places do you buy from?

Pinetree Seeds and Burpee's.

George

Both good choices, George. I also like Territorial, Johnny's, and Nichol's
Garden Nursery. Three years ago I placed a large order with Gurney's, and
they botched it up so badly that I have sworn to never buy from them again.

Regards,
Bill

George Shirley 22-02-2006 05:23 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

higgledy wrote:

I am sure you expereinced gardners already know this, but Gurney's is
crazy with thier prices. Which mail order places do you buy from?

Pinetree Seeds and Burpee's.

George

Both good choices, George. I also like Territorial, Johnny's, and Nichol's
Garden Nursery. Three years ago I placed a large order with Gurney's, and
they botched it up so badly that I have sworn to never buy from them again.

Regards,
Bill

I've got a couple of seedsmen on my blacklist. Gurney's is just one of
them. Pinetree and Burpee's have never screwed up an order of mine,
neither has Johnny's, haven't ordered from the others. Thanks for the
advice though. We've downsized our gardens of late, only plant about
half what we used too, except for hot chiles. Gotta make that hot sauce
you know.

George

higgledy 22-02-2006 07:11 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

Here in Maryland the HD workers don't have time to worry about dried up
plants. It is a shame, they work those people like slaves.

Doug Kanter 22-02-2006 07:23 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here in Maryland the HD workers don't have time to worry about dried up
plants. It is a shame, they work those people like slaves.

There should an ASPCP - for prevention of cruelty to plants.

Cereus-validus-........... 22-02-2006 08:19 PM

Don't buy from Gurneys

How true that is.

Its really shameful how they force their employees to work in chains.

If it wasn't for the occasional rain, the plants would never get watered.

oups.com...