GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trimming Bushes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/12719-trimming-bushes.html)

Christine Lipfert 02-04-2003 07:32 PM

Trimming Bushes

Is there a certain rule as to when to trim bushes? The bush I want to
trim is blooming and is blocking entrance to my garage so I'd like to
trim it. Any general rules? Should I wait until the bush stops
blooming?

M. Tiefert 02-04-2003 07:32 PM

Trimming Bushes

In article , (Christine Lipfert) wrote:
Is there a certain rule as to when to trim bushes? The bush I want to
trim is blooming and is blocking entrance to my garage so I'd like to
trim it. Any general rules? Should I wait until the bush stops
blooming?

It depends on whether the flowers come from new stems or from last
year's new stems. So... do you know what kind of bush it is?

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Coleridge shop: http://www.cafeshops.com/coleridgestore
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/

Penny Morgan 02-04-2003 08:20 PM

Trimming Bushes

You don't have to wait for it to stop blooming to trim branches that are in
your path. The only time you should worry about that is if you're trimming
a bush all over and it has set buds that will be blooming in the near
future. You wouldn't want to cut the buds off. After trimming the
branches, you will more than likely encounter new growth again before summer
arrives. Just cut them again to what you like. Azaleas should be cut back
after they have bloomed (example).

Penny
Zone 7b- North Carolina
m...

JNJ 02-04-2003 08:56 PM

Trimming Bushes

Is there a certain rule as to when to trim bushes? The bush I want to
trim is blooming and is blocking entrance to my garage so I'd like to
trim it. Any general rules? Should I wait until the bush stops
blooming?

More oft than not you would be fine to do a pruning at just about any time
of the year. Harsh prunings should be put off until right about the dormant
season to allow the plant time to prepare to go dormant. For example, I'll
be going out this evening to prune up some honeysuckle, a couple of red bud
trees, and a sunburst locust. Most folks don't prune when a shrub is in
bloom to maintain the beauty of the plant for the blooming season. :)

There are some trees and shrubs that are a bit particular about pruning
though and you do not mention what kind of bushes these are in your
posting...?

James

Beecrofter 03-04-2003 12:32 AM

Trimming Bushes

(Christine Lipfert) wrote in message om...
Is there a certain rule as to when to trim bushes? The bush I want to
trim is blooming and is blocking entrance to my garage so I'd like to
trim it. Any general rules? Should I wait until the bush stops
blooming?

Don't just hack at them as any fool can do that.
Follow a branch you want to remove to the next thicker branch and
remove it there.
The part just before it joins the thicker branch which is fatter is
called the branch collar and you want to make your cut on the thin
side of that swelling.
The results of pruning by this method gives you a more natural look
and a healthier result.

Christine Lipfert 04-04-2003 04:56 PM

Trimming Bushes

The braches on the bush are very green and lanky. The leaves are long
and skinny and the flowers are yellow. Anybody have any guesses as to
what kind of bush this is? and wether to trim them?

Frogleg 04-04-2003 09:08 PM

Trimming Bushes

On 2 Apr 2003 10:23:10 -0800, (Christine
Lipfert) wrote:

Is there a certain rule as to when to trim bushes? The bush I want to
trim is blooming and is blocking entrance to my garage so I'd like to
trim it. Any general rules? Should I wait until the bush stops
blooming?

If the bush is blocking your garage, and you want to get into your
garage, you must prune the bush. If you can wait until the bush
finishes blooming to get into your garage, don't prune the bush until
it stops blooming. Unless the blooms are ugly and you don't care
whether it blooms or not, in which case prune the bush.

In (very) general, pruning is best done shortly after blooming things
bloom.

Beecrofter 05-04-2003 02:32 AM

Trimming Bushes

The braches on the bush are very green and lanky. The leaves are long
and skinny and the flowers are yellow. Anybody have any guesses as to
what kind of bush this is? and wether to trim them?

Sounds to me like a Forsythia
It's pretty tough stuff and will tolerate almost any kind of pruning.