Old 02-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Christine Lipfert

Default Trimming Bushes

Is there a certain rule as to when to trim bushes? The bush I want to
trim is blooming and is blocking entrance to my garage so I'd like to
trim it. Any general rules? Should I wait until the bush stops
blooming?
Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Penny Morgan

You don't have to wait for it to stop blooming to trim branches that are in
your path. The only time you should worry about that is if you're trimming
a bush all over and it has set buds that will be blooming in the near
future. You wouldn't want to cut the buds off. After trimming the
branches, you will more than likely encounter new growth again before summer
arrives. Just cut them again to what you like. Azaleas should be cut back
after they have bloomed (example).

Penny
Zone 7b- North Carolina
m...

Old 02-04-2003, 08:56 PM
JNJ

Is there a certain rule as to when to trim bushes? The bush I want to
trim is blooming and is blocking entrance to my garage so I'd like to
trim it. Any general rules? Should I wait until the bush stops
blooming?

More oft than not you would be fine to do a pruning at just about any time
of the year. Harsh prunings should be put off until right about the dormant
season to allow the plant time to prepare to go dormant. For example, I'll
be going out this evening to prune up some honeysuckle, a couple of red bud
trees, and a sunburst locust. Most folks don't prune when a shrub is in
bloom to maintain the beauty of the plant for the blooming season.

There are some trees and shrubs that are a bit particular about pruning
though and you do not mention what kind of bushes these are in your
posting...?

James

Old 05-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Beecrofter

The braches on the bush are very green and lanky. The leaves are long
and skinny and the flowers are yellow. Anybody have any guesses as to
what kind of bush this is? and wether to trim them?

Sounds to me like a Forsythia
It's pretty tough stuff and will tolerate almost any kind of pruning.

[IMG] code is On

trimming roots on small conifer bushes johngood_____ United Kingdom 0 10-09-2007 05:12 PM
Trimming spiral bamboo Jan Bamboo 2 23-01-2004 03:36 AM
advice on trimming bushes needed jel Gardening 3 11-07-2003 02:32 PM
TREE TRIMMING AND/OR REMOVAL Thelumberjackcan Texas 0 27-02-2003 03:29 AM
Trimming back ornamental grasses: Dallas Blue and another Todd W. Roat Gardening 1 30-01-2003 02:16 PM