Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Lynn A.

Default Irish moss

Gee...so many questions...this is what happens when you're itching
to garden and it's still not safe to garden outside...you start in on
your houseplants!!
Last month I bought a pot of "Irish Moss". Now that I look it up
online, I see it's commonly thought of as an outdoor plant. I'd like to
keep it inside. Can I do this? It says it wants indirect light on the
tag, I have a fluorescent light setup as well as many windows with
varying light to choose from.

Thanks,
Lynn

Old 02-04-2003, 10:44 PM
paghat

In article , "Lynn A."
wrote:

Gee...so many questions...this is what happens when you're itching
to garden and it's still not safe to garden outside...you start in on
your houseplants!!
Last month I bought a pot of "Irish Moss". Now that I look it up
online, I see it's commonly thought of as an outdoor plant. I'd like to
keep it inside. Can I do this? It says it wants indirect light on the
tag, I have a fluorescent light setup as well as many windows with
varying light to choose from.

Thanks,
Lynn

I grow it outside in a morning-sunny spot that gets regular watering but
does dry out occasionally. It grows & grows & spread & spreads. I have to
trim it off the flagstones, it'll grow even where there's no dirt. It
strikes me as being so hardy it OUGHT to adapt as an indoor plant quite
handily, though I never tried it so won't say for sure.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 03-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Dvd

"Lynn A." wrote in message
Gee...so many questions...this is what happens when you're itching
to garden and it's still not safe to garden outside...you start in on
your houseplants!!
Last month I bought a pot of "Irish Moss". Now that I look it up
online, I see it's commonly thought of as an outdoor plant. I'd like to
keep it inside. Can I do this? It says it wants indirect light on the
tag, I have a fluorescent light setup as well as many windows with
varying light to choose from.

Thanks,
Lynn

I have grown it under lights and it grows fine, but longer.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Lynn A.

paghat wrote:

I grow it outside in a morning-sunny spot that gets regular watering but
does dry out occasionally. It grows & grows & spread & spreads. I have to
trim it off the flagstones, it'll grow even where there's no dirt. It
strikes me as being so hardy it OUGHT to adapt as an indoor plant quite
handily, though I never tried it so won't say for sure.

Thanks. I guess I could eventually put it out on the front porch,
that gets nice morning sun...but I'll try it inside for a while first.

Lynn

Old 03-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Lynn A.

Dvd wrote:

I have grown it under lights and it grows fine, but longer.

Great, thanks. What are its watering requirements?

Lynn

Old 04-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Dvd

"Lynn A." wrote in message

Dvd wrote:

I have grown it under lights and it grows fine, but longer.

Great, thanks. What are its watering requirements?

Lynn

Don't overwater and don't let it dry out. It's pretty tough stuff. Come to
think of it, it was Scottish moss, not Irish -- almost the same but lighter
green.

Dvd
http://home.golden.net/~dhobson/

Old 13-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Laura Gilbert

Did you grow the Scottish moss outside, if so, what zone are you in? I am
in zone 7 and would like to use it in a walk way.

Laura in Virginia
"Lynn A." wrote in message