Old 12-03-2006, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Clay soil question

I live in a small rental house with a small garden in Sunset zone 22-23. I
hae filled all the beds with flowers. I usually have no problem growing
anything but now am stumped. The ground here is heavy clay. I am on teh side
of a hill so it tends to be wet clay from people higher on the hill
watering. In the raised beds and planters no problem, but I have been trying
for years now to grow a small tree.

For the first tree, I dug a decent hole about 2-3 feet deep and 3 feet wide.
I used compost and mulch and all. It (a Meyer Lemon) drowned. The second
tree I dug the hole deeper and used more compost. It drowned. The 3rd tree -
a Mimosa seems to be officially dead. The hole has standing water. It smells
sour and mildewy. Did I mention this is Los Angeles? The desert? I know
there is no issue of underground wells, broken pipes, etc just there is
an orchard up the hill from me and all the water drains down and puddles in
my back yard. Plus I water a lot as I have roses, jasmine, fucshias,
begonias, impatiens and all kinds of water looving flowers.

So if I dig another hole - like 6 feet deep and fill it with gravel?
compost? planting soil? what? Can I then plant another mimosa and hope it
won't jsut drown as I have improved the drainage?

Any ideas?
Hilda
Old 12-03-2006, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

On 12 Mar 2006 05:50:28 GMT, wrote:

[...]

My idea would to not use any material other than the clay you dug out
of the hole, then you won't be building a tub that will trap water.
Throw in some gypsum if you like, it is said to release the clay
somewhat. I'm up in Ventura county, the ranchers here who grow citrus
don't amend the soil when they plant. If anything, you could mound
the soil a bit to keep water from running into the planted area, too
much water kills citrus.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
LAH

I'm not familiar enough with conditions in your part of the country to
recommend a specific tree. However, perhaps you could inquire at your local
nursery about water loving trees and trees that tolerate clay. In this part
of the country, willows, poplars, service berry (my favorite and seems to
grow under almost all conditions), and cottonwood come to mind. There are
probably others.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

You may need to put in a drain (perforated plastic pipe) to carry off
the excess water. Compost and gypsum will help. Raise the soil level
before you plant--do not raise the tree above the soil line. When
you dig the tree hole, make it with corners (can be square) to send
the roots outward instead of growing round and round. A young tree
will acclimatize better than an older one.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

A hill will drain better than a hole.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
RAINDEAR

i suggest powdered dolomite: it's CHEAP and it does WONDERFULLY as an "easy
& fast" amendment for clay soils; and also, in the meantime, get a compost
tumbler or make your own compost heap---coffee grinds, egg shells (make sure
you wash the inside of the shells so there's no albumen or yolk still
within), broccoli ends, zucchini ends (where does this all END?)...etc.
grass clippings, dead leaves (but avoid oak leaves as much as possible---too
much tannic acid to make good compost)....put in HOT, BRIGHT area, toss and
tumble (with pitchfork, or if you like to play in the dirt, your fingers)
;o)
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.

Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Old 13-03-2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

wrote in message
[...]

Don't dig a hole at all, it will just become a swimming pool for your tree -
and most trees don't swim. Build up a mound and plant in that. For a lemon
make the mound about 4-5ft across and 12-18in high. By the time the tree
has outgrown the mound it should be sending its roots down through the clay.
Mulch the mound well as in hot or dry weather they tend to dry out quickly.

David

David