GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/14114-remove-first-year-blueberry-blooms.html)

Greg 07-04-2003 06:20 PM

Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms

I've read where I should remove the first (sometimes second) year
blooms on newly planted two year old blueberry plants. Is this really
necessary? They are in full bloom, and I would really hate to remove
the blooms. But, if it's best, then I will do so.

Timothy 07-04-2003 06:32 PM

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:12:35 -0700, Greg wrote:

I've read where I should remove the first (sometimes second) year blooms
on newly planted two year old blueberry plants. Is this really necessary?
They are in full bloom, and I would really hate to remove the blooms. But,
if it's best, then I will do so.

If the plant is vigrous and healthy I personally don't see the reason for
it. People are incouraged to cut off the blooms to direct the plants
attention and engery in foliage and root production instead of fruit
production. As long as the shrub looks healthy and you have a good
nutritional supplement (fertilizer) to give it.... you should do fine.
Good luck and enjoy your blueberry crop!
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Cereoid+10+ 07-04-2003 08:44 PM

Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms

I read somewhere that cactus come from outer space.

Don't believe everything you read.

Leave the plants alone.

If you are that anal compulsive, you may as well get ready for the next full
moon so you can do the fertility dance on your front yard completely naked.
If you believe strong enough, that will ensure a good crop this season. At
least that's what you can tell the judge after the cops take you away and
lock you up!!! Do you Yahoo?

om...

Alice Gamewell 07-04-2003 09:08 PM

Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms

Greg,
I leave my plants alone and have good results.

Alice Gamewell 07-04-2003 09:20 PM

Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms

Greg,
I leave my plants alone and have good results. Also, please remember
that a blueberry bush does not come into full production until about its
sixth year. So don't think that you have done anything wrong when your
yields are low. Good luck.
Alice

Beecrofter 08-04-2003 02:20 AM

(Greg) wrote in message . com...
I've read where I should remove the first (sometimes second) year
blooms on newly planted two year old blueberry plants. Is this really
necessary? They are in full bloom, and I would really hate to remove
the blooms. But, if it's best, then I will do so.

Put your energy into a good mulch and weed control.
Maybe even go hi tech and do a soil test.
And get the pH down.

Greg 08-04-2003 04:08 AM

Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms

Thanks to all who replied except Cereoid+10+, who's message I will
completely ignore. Why is it that there is always someone out there
who just has to give a smart #@! answer? I usually ignore trolls like
this, but this time I just had to say something (must be the coming
full moon). And Yes Cereoid+10+, I do Yahoo, if you are referring to
my email address. I do this to keep trolls like you from sending SPAM
to my ISP mailbox. Instead, Yahoo receives all the junk mail.

Again, thanks for the replies. I think I'll leave the blooms.

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message y.com...
I read somewhere that cactus come from outer space.

Don't believe everything you read.

Leave the plants alone.

If you are that anal compulsive, you may as well get ready for the next full
moon so you can do the fertility dance on your front yard completely naked.
If you believe strong enough, that will ensure a good crop this season. At
least that's what you can tell the judge after the cops take you away and
lock you up!!! Do you Yahoo?

om...

paghat 08-04-2003 04:44 AM

Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms

In article ,
(Greg) wrote:

Thanks to all who replied except Cereoid+10+, who's message I will
completely ignore.

Saying you're ignoring something is not ignoring something!

Why is it that there is always someone out there
who just has to give a smart #@! answer? I usually ignore trolls like
this, but this time I just had to say something (must be the coming

Cereoid's just crabby. Think of him as a crazy uncle who knows some really
interesting stuff if you can overlook his quirks, & will put in a good
hard day's work now & then if you need him to, just so long as you don't
mind him singing Johnny Cash's "dirty old eggsucking dog" at you nonstop.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/