Old 30-03-2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom

Default saw dust question

I am getting ready to till my garden which is 18 by 25 feet. I have a large
bag of saw dust and jointer shavings which are Oak. My question is would it
be OK to spread it all over my garden and till it in or would it cause more
harm then good?
Thanks for your opinions.

Old 30-03-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Use it on the surface as mulch, tilled in it will tie up a bit of the
available nitrogen.

Old 31-03-2006, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:48:22 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

I am getting ready to till my garden which is 18 by 25 feet. I have a large
bag of saw dust and jointer shavings which are Oak. My question is would it
be OK to spread it all over my garden and till it in or would it cause more
harm then good?
Thanks for your opinions.

Pile the sawdust in a heap. It will be OK to use next year. Or, you
can mix it with an equal amount of grass clippings (or any other green
material) and it will be ready to use in about 6 weeks. If you use it
without composting, it will deplete your garden of nitrogen--not good.
Read about composting and you will be a step ahead in gardening!
Old 31-03-2006, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:48:22 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

I am getting ready to till my garden which is 18 by 25 feet. I have a large
bag of saw dust and jointer shavings which are Oak. My question is would it
be OK to spread it all over my garden and till it in or would it cause more
harm then good?
Thanks for your opinions.

Pile the sawdust in a heap. It will be OK to use next year. Or, you
can mix it with an equal amount of grass clippings (or any other green
material) and it will be ready to use in about 6 weeks. If you use it
without composting, it will deplete your garden of nitrogen--not good.
Read about composting and you will be a step ahead in gardening!

Good Advice! We take wood chip piles and place them on our walking
paths. This walking helps break it down and then a transfer to other
places.

Bill

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade