Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Arden

Default please help with shore planting recommendation

We live on a freshwater lake lot. The prior owner cleared the bank and
I am concerned about erosion as we plan on living here forever (or
longer :-) ). We are prevented by local rules from putting down riprap
or seawalls. So, I want to plant something to help control the
erosion. I am seeking advice on what to plant. The target plant
should be:
- Low maintenance. (I'm lazy.)
- A long-living perennial. (I certainly don't want to have to do this
regularly.)
- Deer resistant. (We have lots of deer (and other wildlife) in the
area, and something that isn't deer resistant will get eaten before it
has a chance!)
- Be low growing. Preferably something that will not grow to be more
than a few feet or so tall. (We don't want to block our view of the
lake.)
- Able to grow in a variety of shade conditions. I think during the
summer this area will get full sun. But in the fall, it may be shaded
by the trees.
- Not have thorns. (I hate them.)
- Capable of growing in dry and moist soil. I hope to plant these on
the bank only a very short distance from the edge of the lake. I guess
the soil may be dry there for a couple of years, but as the lake
reaches the plants the soil may become more moist.

I live in South Carolina in zone 7-8. The soil seems to be a layer of
topsoil over clay on the bank, but the lake bottom is sandy soil.

I have 0 gardening skill (or less), and any advice greatly
appreciated!!!
Arden

Old 09-04-2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Louisiana iris. come in all different colors. they spread by themselves. I gave a
clump to my MIL and over a few years they spread nicely. they arent hard to pull out
either. they will grow right up onto the bank. they got deer and turkeys up the
ying yang that ate everything else but didnt bother the iris. Ingrid

"Arden" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb

"Arden" wrote in message
ups.com...
We live on a freshwater lake lot. The prior owner cleared the bank and
I am concerned about erosion as we plan on living here forever (or
longer :-) ). We are prevented by local rules from putting down riprap
or seawalls. So, I want to plant something to help control the
erosion. I am seeking advice on what to plant. The target plant
should be:
- Low maintenance. (I'm lazy.)

I understand this is fairly low maintenance.
http://www.enature.com/flashcard/sho...dNumber=TS0404

These grow about 6' tall and wide. How high is your house standing? Don't
want to block your view.

BetsyB

- A long-living perennial. (I certainly don't want to have to do this
regularly.)
- Deer resistant. (We have lots of deer (and other wildlife) in the
area, and something that isn't deer resistant will get eaten before it
has a chance!)
- Be low growing. Preferably something that will not grow to be more
than a few feet or so tall. (We don't want to block our view of the
lake.)
- Able to grow in a variety of shade conditions. I think during the
summer this area will get full sun. But in the fall, it may be shaded
by the trees.
- Not have thorns. (I hate them.)

They grow in sand on the beaches all along the East coast of the USA.

- Capable of growing in dry and moist soil. I hope to plant these on
the bank only a very short distance from the edge of the lake. I guess
the soil may be dry there for a couple of years, but as the lake
reaches the plants the soil may become more moist.

You could go by the beach in your state and find some and save the seeds.
Good project for summer time.