GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need xeric bush to shade full sun pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/142171-need-xeric-bush-shade-full-sun-pond.html)

[email protected] 09-04-2006 08:21 PM

Need xeric bush to shade full sun pond

I'm in charge of the full-sun side of our Denver back yard. I use most
of this area for growing chile, but I've put in some large areas of
gravel over fabric to lessen maintainance. In one of these areas I
would like to put in a small, 'natural' looking pond (we have friends
with a small gurgling fountain in their yard and the place is
practically a song bird convention center.) I wanted to put in a
chamisa with the pond to its north side; tucked in to the broken shade,
but my wife has nixed it because of the pollen bugging her.

Has anyone here done something like this? I need some suggestions on
something to use instead of a chamisa (which would probably get too big
anyway.) I'm working with a rectangular area about 13'-6" E-W and
12'-0" N-S. To the north is a garden plot of chile (24" high at
maturity) and a sidewalk to the garage runs along the south border,
beyond which is grass.

Thanks for any hints,

[email protected] 11-04-2006 05:00 AM

Need xeric bush to shade full sun pond

How about a manzanita or a ceanothus? There are nice small, low
growing cultivars. They like dry soil, but usually do fine near water.

Have a llok he
http://selectree.calpoly.edu/attribute_search.lasso : to see if this
search helps.

bahB

[email protected] 11-04-2006 09:41 PM

Need xeric bush to shade full sun pond

Thanks for that site!

J.R. in MI 12-04-2006 03:33 AM

Need xeric bush to shade full sun pond

plants growing in the pond will also shade it, like cattails and lily
pads.