GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crocus and Daffodil planting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/142202-crocus-daffodil-planting.html)

Lady Liberty 10-04-2006 06:19 AM

Crocus and Daffodil planting

Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they bloom in
late summer?

Will they do that ok?

--
Please read about the true principles of liberty at:
http//planetarybillofrights.org/

JOBS : http://planetarybillofrights.org/jobs.htm

enigma 10-04-2006 12:48 PM

Crocus and Daffodil planting

Lady Liberty
wrote in :

Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they
bloom in late summer?

Will they do that ok?

no. if you buy & plant them now (where would you find them?)
they will bloom next spring. crocus & daffodils are spring
flowering bulbs.
there *are* some autumn blooming crocus though. maybe you can
find & plant some of that type now.
lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of

Doug Kanter 10-04-2006 03:03 PM

Crocus and Daffodil planting

"Lady Liberty" wrote in
message ...
Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they bloom in
late summer?

Will they do that ok?

In addition to what enigma said, beware of buying pots of spring bulbs that
are already blooming. The flowers don't last that long, and then, you're
left with bulbs. They pot, soil & bulbs are way overpriced for what you're
getting.

sockiescat 10-04-2006 03:47 PM

Doug Kanter "Lady Liberty" wrote in
message ...
Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they bloom in
late summer?

Will they do that ok?

In addition to what enigma said, beware of buying pots of spring bulbs that
are already blooming. The flowers don't last that long, and then, you're
left with bulbs. They pot, soil & bulbs are way overpriced for what you're
getting.

the potted flower prices here are nuts there is no way that i would spend 6 to 10 dollars and more for a pot of flowers that has been forced and wont last long enough to enjoy them so doug is sure right on that point.
as well if u plant bulbs now they wont have the root base to flower for one and also they are spring bloomers as enigma has mentioned. maybe getting fall crocuses would be an answer otherwise look around your garden center and see what other bulbs they have to offer u maybe u will find something that u really like. good luck. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.

David E. Ross 10-04-2006 08:54 PM

Lady Liberty wrote:
Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they bloom in
late summer?

Will they do that ok?

You might be able to fool the bulbs regarding the season. This requires
refrigerating them for several weeks, then potting them and placing the
pots in a cool dark space until shoots appear. Even then, the results
are not necessarily as desired; and if they do bloom out of season, the
bulbs are then often worthless for replanting in the ground.

The most important thing, however, is that any bulbs that you find now
are probably not in good condition. They were at their prime last fall
and are likely left-overs that could not be sold.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Doug Kanter 10-04-2006 09:17 PM

Crocus and Daffodil planting

"sockiescat" wrote in message

Doug Kanter "Lady Liberty"
wrote in
message ...
[...]

I see people buying them at Home Depot and I wonder what's going through
their heads. Hopefully, they want them for centerpieces at a nice dinner in
the next 48 hours, and nothing else. Much of the time, the pots contain
tulips which are going to burst their petals any minute.

Pennyaline 10-04-2006 11:28 PM

Crocus and Daffodil planting

enigma wrote:
Lady Liberty
wrote in :

Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they
bloom in late summer?

Will they do that ok?

no. if you buy & plant them now (where would you find them?)
they will bloom next spring. crocus & daffodils are spring
flowering bulbs.
there *are* some autumn blooming crocus though. maybe you can
find & plant some of that type now.

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked nearly
everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't have them.

Doug Kanter 10-04-2006 11:46 PM

"Pennyaline" wrote in message

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked nearly
everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't have them.

Google for the words "crocosmia" and "autumn". Also, check out
www.whiteflowerfarms.com.

[email protected] 11-04-2006 04:48 AM

Crocus and Daffodil planting

Crocosmia are not crocus!

Autum blooming crocus (like saffron) are a bit hard to find. Holland
Bulbs is one company I think has them. I did get some from some
catalogue, but they only see them at the right time for planting. A
google should do it....They are not something most garden centers even
know about. Look for small specialty places.

bahB

Doug Kanter 11-04-2006 12:31 PM

Crocus and Daffodil planting

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeez....dumb mistake. Sorry. Doing 10 things at once.......sorry.

Travis M. 11-04-2006 09:03 PM

Crocus and Daffodil planting

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Pennyaline"
wrote
in message ...

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked
nearly
everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't
have
them.

Google for the words "crocosmia" and "autumn". Also, check out
www.whiteflowerfarms.com.

Crocosmia is not a crocus.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Doug Kanter 11-04-2006 09:06 PM

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Pennyaline" wrote
in message ...

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked nearly
everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't have
them.

Google for the words "crocosmia" and "autumn". Also, check out
www.whiteflowerfarms.com.

Crocosmia is not a crocus.

Thanks. I've already been corrected. My archives knew, but the brain was
doing other things at the time. :(