Old 10-04-2006, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lady Liberty

Default Crocus and Daffodil planting

Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they bloom in
late summer?

Will they do that ok?

--
Please read about the true principles of liberty at:
http//planetarybillofrights.org/

JOBS : http://planetarybillofrights.org/jobs.htm
Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Lady Liberty
wrote in :

Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they
bloom in late summer?

Will they do that ok?

no. if you buy & plant them now (where would you find them?)
they will bloom next spring. crocus & daffodils are spring
flowering bulbs.
there *are* some autumn blooming crocus though. maybe you can
find & plant some of that type now.
lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Lady Liberty" wrote in
message ...
Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they bloom in
late summer?

Will they do that ok?

In addition to what enigma said, beware of buying pots of spring bulbs that
are already blooming. The flowers don't last that long, and then, you're
left with bulbs. They pot, soil & bulbs are way overpriced for what you're
getting.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Lady Liberty wrote:
Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they bloom in
late summer?

Will they do that ok?

You might be able to fool the bulbs regarding the season. This requires
refrigerating them for several weeks, then potting them and placing the
pots in a cool dark space until shoots appear. Even then, the results
are not necessarily as desired; and if they do bloom out of season, the
bulbs are then often worthless for replanting in the ground.

The most important thing, however, is that any bulbs that you find now
are probably not in good condition. They were at their prime last fall
and are likely left-overs that could not be sold.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 10-04-2006, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

enigma wrote:
Lady Liberty
wrote in :

Can I buy and plant crocus and daffodil bulbs now, so they
bloom in late summer?

Will they do that ok?

no. if you buy & plant them now (where would you find them?)
they will bloom next spring. crocus & daffodils are spring
flowering bulbs.
there *are* some autumn blooming crocus though. maybe you can
find & plant some of that type now.

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked nearly
everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't have them.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Pennyaline" wrote in message

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked nearly
everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't have them.

Google for the words "crocosmia" and "autumn". Also, check out
www.whiteflowerfarms.com.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Crocosmia are not crocus!

Autum blooming crocus (like saffron) are a bit hard to find. Holland
Bulbs is one company I think has them. I did get some from some
catalogue, but they only see them at the right time for planting. A
google should do it....They are not something most garden centers even
know about. Look for small specialty places.

bahB

Old 11-04-2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeez....dumb mistake. Sorry. Doing 10 things at once.......sorry.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Pennyaline"
wrote
in message ...

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked
nearly
everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't
have
them.

Google for the words "crocosmia" and "autumn". Also, check out
www.whiteflowerfarms.com.

Crocosmia is not a crocus.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 11-04-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Pennyaline" wrote
in message ...

Where can I find autumn-blooming crocus bulbs? I've looked nearly
everywhere, and even the catalogs I've looked over didn't have
them.

Google for the words "crocosmia" and "autumn". Also, check out
www.whiteflowerfarms.com.

Crocosmia is not a crocus.

Thanks. I've already been corrected. My archives knew, but the brain was
doing other things at the time.