GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pigeons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/142243-pigeons.html)

kathryn 11-04-2006 12:54 PM

Pigeons

When i first got my garden a couple of years ago, i was delighted to have any bird visiting the garden, however now the pigeons have taken over, they eat all the birdseed, frighten off the other birds and only seem to visit my garden...All the other gardens near to me get all kinds of bird life but I just seem to be getting these big pesky pests...any help gratefully appreciated

sockiescat 11-04-2006 03:17 PM

kathryn When i first got my garden a couple of years ago, i was delighted to have any bird visiting the garden, however now the pigeons have taken over, they eat all the birdseed, frighten off the other birds and only seem to visit my garden...All the other gardens near to me get all kinds of bird life but I just seem to be getting these big pesky pests...any help gratefully appreciated

kathryn for the smaller song birds u need the small bird feeders so that the pidgeons cant get at the seed. if u are just spreading the seed on the ground thats an open invitation to the pidgeons. maybe ask some of the neighbours and see what they are doing that is different from what u are doing maybe this might help solve your problem. good luck. cyaaa, sockiescat.

Doug Kanter 11-04-2006 06:06 PM

Pigeons

--
kathryn

Kathryn, that's like leaving bowls of M&Ms outside and then wondering why
there are fat people visiting your yard all the time. Take away the bird
seed for a while. Like, until late autumn.

morninglori 12-04-2006 08:47 PM

Pigeons

Droll Yankee has a wonderful bird feeder, that has a ring around the
bottom. When any bird too big (or squirrel) tries to get on the bird
feeder, it spins the ring and the squirrel or birds get flung into the
shrubs. I got it for squirrels (which is very entertaining actually).
But it also works for pidgeons and grackles (which we have an
infestation of.

Also, putting out different kind of birdseed helps. If you put out
corn, you'll get pidgeons, mice, squirrels, etc. If you put out a blend
that doesn't have corn (but has sunflowers and thistles, you'll get
cardinals, jays, swallows and the smaller birds). If the pidgeons go
for the seed on the ground, I just open the door and let the dogs out.