Old 20-04-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
las

Default How early to spray columbine and iris?

It is late April in Maine (5b-4a), and the columbine and iris are just
peeking out. Every year I have problems with budworm in the iris and
columbine worm in the columbine. I'd like to try to get them early
with Neem and/or insecticidal soap. Can either of these harm very
small plants (probably not the iris, but maybe the columbine?)

Any other suggestions for coping with these would be appreciated.

Old 21-04-2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"las" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is late April in Maine (5b-4a), and the columbine and iris are just
peeking out. Every year I have problems with budworm in the iris and
columbine worm in the columbine. I'd like to try to get them early
with Neem and/or insecticidal soap. Can either of these harm very
small plants (probably not the iris, but maybe the columbine?)

Any other suggestions for coping with these would be appreciated.

Go to this web site. Find your local cooperative extension office and ask
them how to deal with this using no chemicals, if possible, or the LEAST
environmentally obscene way possible. Chemicals are ALWAYS the last resort.

http://www.umext.maine.edu/