Old 23-04-2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Buy morning glories in strater pots

First off let me say I am NOT a gardener

I have a chain link fence behind my house Id like to
plant morning glories next so they have something to
climb

Can I buy morning glories already started in small pots
at a nursery? That way I don't have to plant them from
seed?

I live in north Missouri

Also any advice on COLORFULL glories to plant to
attract humming birds? What color?
Old 26-04-2006, 08:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
carbuff

Last year I tried unsuccessfully to grow them from seed, but I did manage to
find one local nursery that offered them in pots. Tried both the
traditional blue and a magenta shade.
The blue went berzerk - made huge coverage on the wall with many vines from
one stem. Huge trumpet blooms that were magnificent and abundant. The
plant got so big that it brought down the trellis/netting in August! (I put
it back up, of course). At season end, the stem at the ground was almost 1
1/4 inches thick.
The magenta MG was rather disappointing. Although it was nearby the blue
one, I grew it at the base of a tree (instead of up the white stucco wall
like the blue). The soil there is also different, which may've been a
factor. But it didn't really thrive, and the blooms were sparser and 1/3
the size of the blue.
Didn't get much hummingbird action last year, even with one of those hanging
nectar thingies. Also put up two bat houses, but no takers. ( Was
trying for some free mosquito abatement here in Winnipeg (Zone 3)

Old 28-04-2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

Under a tree? in shade? MG's are sun lovers, don't do well in shade at all.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

Old 28-04-2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Starlord" wrote:

MG's are sun lovers, don't do well in shade at all.

Will they be ok along a fence on south of house with
hot sun all day long?
Old 30-04-2006, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nicole

yes, just make sure the fence can take the growth and be ready to prune if
necessary. morning glories can get out of control really fast..... they
thrive here.

wrote in message
news

Old 30-04-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Nicole" wrote:

yes, just make sure the fence can take the growth and be ready to prune if
necessary. morning glories can get out of control really fast..... they
thrive here.

I'm in north Missouri

And only place I can grow them is along a fence on
south side of house

It likely will be VERY direct sun there. I will water
them

Yo say again that they will grow OK in those
conditions.