Old 27-04-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
RAINDEAR

Default suggestion on how to keep the nasty insects away

i was at a friend's house & yard party, in my BLACK bugshirt, as usual,
since it was 'high' summer and i overheard a guy say something that got my
heart a-beatin' and ears a-buzzin'....to wit:

if you go to a hunters' store (the kind where they sell licenses to kill
poor animals {yup, now you know where MY feelings lie!}, guns, of course,
and other FUN things to do or eat whilst you're awaiting your victims to
come close enough to kill), it is possible to buy soap, mouthwash, shampoo,
body deodorant, etc., which have NO SCENT so your prey cannot smell or sense
you upwind, downwind, or...i don't know==sideways?

at any rate, i got this idea of trying it on myself to see if it would
disguise my "sweet breath" so blackfly, deerfly, wasps/hornets,
yellowjackets, etc., would pass me by because they could not catch my scent.

the answer is: YES and NO! those above mentioned insects WILL pass you
over UNLESS you start sweating--and, if you're gardening or sitting in front
of...oh, let's say your garden beds with the intent of weeding them AND you
are wearing one of those BLACK "bug shirts"---you WILL begin to sweat---of
this, there is NO DOUBT!!!!

but, gee, try it for yourself---mebbe it'll work better for you than for me.
you know what they say, "try EVERYTHING at least once; and, if it's fun or
feels good, keep on, keeping on, trying it!!!!!"

good luck, fellow gardeners!!!

sincerely,
gypsy in
blackfly new hamster
NH Z 4a
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.