Old 01-05-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Toller

Default walnut shaving as mulch?

I have a 33 gal can full of walnut wood shavings, with more on the way. Can
I use them as hardwood mulch on my shrubs?

Walnut is reasonably rot proof, so it would be long lasting, but I know
walnut trees kill the vegetation around them. Is that chemical contained in
the wood?

Hate the idea of sending it out to the trash when I need mulch, but I sure
don't need to kill my plants. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"Toller" wrote in
:

I have a 33 gal can full of walnut wood shavings, with more
on the way. Can I use them as hardwood mulch on my shrubs?

black walnut? do you like your shrubs?

Walnut is reasonably rot proof, so it would be long
lasting, but I know walnut trees kill the vegetation around
them. Is that chemical contained in the wood?

unfortunately, yes. black walnut mulch would likely kill your
shrubs. some plants aren't as affected by juglone though. i
have a very healthy dogwood right under/next to a very large
black walnut. an apple tree near the walnut was progressively
dying as the dripline/root zone expanded. too bad, since it
had great apples...

Hate the idea of sending it out to the trash when I need
mulch, but I sure don't need to kill my plants. Thanks.

got a neighbor you don't like that needs mulch?
lee

--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of