Old 02-05-2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default did I kill my tree?

roch_mom wrote:

This Sunday, my husband and I decided to dig up a row of prickly bushes
planted 10 feet away from the property line. They were planted
perpendicular to a tree (I think a maple) which is about 60 feet tall
and turns yellow in the fall, with yellow/green flowers on it now. We
want to plant grass there since the bushes broke up our property which
goes back 40 feet and the bushes just took up 4 feet with dirt. Plus my
son almost ran into these bushes which were full of thorns.

When we were digging out these bushes we sawed through some roots which
in hindsight were from the tree. One was pretty big and there were a
three or foor that were an inch in diameter. Today, I realized what we
had done and after looking on the net, I realized we might have killed
the tree.

Is there anything to do to save the tree? Can we plant grass there now
that we dug up the bushes?

Any and all advice would be great.

Pruning the tree might reduce its water requirements. I dunno. Maybe an
arborist is reading the group?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)