Old 16-05-2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
James Scott

Default Irises

What is the best time of year to split a large bed of irises in zone 5

Northhawke

Old 17-05-2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

James Scott wrote:
What is the best time of year to split a large bed of irises in zone 5

Northhawke

In any zone:

For bulb iris (sometimes called "Dutch" iris), divide when the foliage
dies.

For rhizome iris (e.g., bearded iris), check with a LOCAL nursery and
ask them when they will have bearded iris for sale as bare root
rhizomes. (This must be a "real" nursery, not a lumber yard or hardware
store -- not Home Depot.) Go back at that time to verify they really
are available. That's the time to divide them. Work on one clump at a
time, replanting the same day they are dug.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 17-05-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

I do it right after they quit blooming. I take a shovel and cut the plant
in half. I leave half where it is and remove the other half, and then cut
it in half again. Then you will have two to plant, or give, or throw away.

The reason I do it that way is so the half that was left where it was, will
bloom again the following year. Sometimes the transplanted ones will need
an additional year to make blooms.

Dwayne

"James Scott" wrote in message
.. .

What is the best time of year to split a large bed of irises in zone 5

Northhawke

[IMG] code is On

bearded irises blooming NOW PV North Carolina 4 05-11-2003 08:42 PM
irises in october in north dakota. larry Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 09:20 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 07-04-2003 05:33 PM