Old 20-05-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boots

Default Ismini Lilies

Has anyone ever heard of Ismini Lilies? I received a bag of them in a
plant exchange and the person who dropped them off did not leave any
instructions for them other than the needed to be dug up every year.
He also told the people running the exchange that the bulbs came from
Japan and have bloomed for over 50 years. Looking at them you can see
that they have started growing again. I have no idea if they take sun
or shade or what. Any ideas?

Sue E.

Old 21-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Registered User

Smile

Boots Has anyone ever heard of Ismini Lilies? I received a bag of them in a
plant exchange and the person who dropped them off did not leave any
instructions for them other than the needed to be dug up every year.
He also told the people running the exchange that the bulbs came from
Japan and have bloomed for over 50 years. Looking at them you can see
that they have started growing again. I have no idea if they take sun
or shade or what. Any ideas?

Sue E.

hi boots sorry the person didnt tell u more about your lilies. i did a search but didnt really come up with anything.
what i would do is follow the same care instructions as u would for any other lily and then see what happens.
here is a link that might help u.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG1112.html
it gives u the care of lilies but also u can contact them and ask them if they know anything about the lilies.
good luck, sockiescat.
Old 21-05-2006, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boots

http://tinyurl.com/evmv4

--
sockiescat

Thanks

I kind of thought I would, I just wanted to make sure about how much
sun or shade, but I guess I could always move them if need be.

Sue E.

Old 21-05-2006, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sue Burnham

"Boots" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone ever heard of Ismini Lilies? I received a bag of them in a
plant exchange and the person who dropped them off did not leave any
instructions for them other than the needed to be dug up every year.
He also told the people running the exchange that the bulbs came from
Japan and have bloomed for over 50 years. Looking at them you can see
that they have started growing again. I have no idea if they take sun
or shade or what. Any ideas?

Sue E.

Yes, I have had them.... first saw them growing naturally in the BVI. Sea
Daffodil, Peruvian Daffodil are other common names, if I've not made a huge
leap of assumption.

Ismene ( try that spelling instead of Ismini) are closely related to
Amaryllis, so if you are colder than a USDA zone 9, they need to be lifted
in the fall. They don't like it colder than 50 F. Plant in full sun or
part, a well drained location is best.

They are beautiful with a lovely fragrance, but not a long flowering period.

Good Luck!

Sue
Western Maine

Old 21-05-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On 20 May 2006 11:59:00 -0700, Boots wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of Ismini Lilies? I received a bag of them in a

Ismene, aka Peruvian daffodil, aka sea daffodil. Hymenocallis spp.

They cannot take temps below 50oF, and must be stored warm and dry in the
winter. Grow in full sun; containers are usually easiest.