GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fringed Wildflower? Central Ohio (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/145553-fringed-wildflower-central-ohio.html)

Ron Hardin 28-05-2006 12:48 PM

Fringed Wildflower? Central Ohio

What's this wildflower? Central Ohio, woods

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59.jpg flower
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59a.jpg leaf

Blueish white, fringed petals, odd leaf.

It doesn't appear to be rare, just not in my Newcomb's Wildflower
Guide where I can find it.
--
Ron Hardin

kate 28-05-2006 02:44 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:
What's this wildflower? Central Ohio, woods

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59.jpg flower
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59a.jpg leaf

Blueish white, fringed petals, odd leaf.

It doesn't appear to be rare, just not in my Newcomb's Wildflower
Guide where I can find it.

I don't know what it is, but I've got it growing here in Middle TN, full
sun. Comes back every year.

Kate

Ron Hardin 28-05-2006 03:40 PM

kate wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:
What's this wildflower? Central Ohio, woods

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59.jpg flower
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59a.jpg leaf

Blueish white, fringed petals, odd leaf.

It doesn't appear to be rare, just not in my Newcomb's Wildflower
Guide where I can find it.

I don't know what it is, but I've got it growing here in Middle TN, full
sun. Comes back every year.

Kate

Seems to be Miami Mist (phacelia purshii), I am informed.

There's an unfringed version understandably named ``phacelia dubia''

--
Ron Hardin

axemanchris 28-05-2006 03:54 PM

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
What's this wildflower? Central Ohio, woods

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59.jpg flower
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59a.jpg leaf

Blueish white, fringed petals, odd leaf.

It doesn't appear to be rare, just not in my Newcomb's Wildflower
Guide where I can find it.
--
Ron Hardin

According to my "Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers"
it is called 'Fringed Phacelia". It's range is said to be Virginia to
Alabama and it flowers in May & June. A very pretty little flower!!

Jacqui

kate 28-05-2006 07:43 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:
kate wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:

What's this wildflower? Central Ohio, woods

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59.jpg flower
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w59a.jpg leaf

Blueish white, fringed petals, odd leaf.

It doesn't appear to be rare, just not in my Newcomb's Wildflower
Guide where I can find it.

I don't know what it is, but I've got it growing here in Middle TN, full
sun. Comes back every year.

Kate

Seems to be Miami Mist (phacelia purshii), I am informed.

There's an unfringed version understandably named ``phacelia dubia''

lol - have you met Prunella vulgaris yet? One of my favorite names.

Kate