GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Geranium question. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/145966-geranium-question.html)

KOS 05-06-2006 01:36 AM

Geranium question.

hello,
I have a few pots of geraniums and I noticed that they are not
flowering. (not the scented variety). Appearance-wise- the plants look
very healthy. Lots of green leaves- but no flowers.

Should I add some type of nitrogen food? what appears to be the
problem?

Located in the N. East part of the USA
Thanks!
KOS

Sue Burnham 05-06-2006 01:44 AM

Geranium question.

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
hello,
I have a few pots of geraniums and I noticed that they are not
flowering. (not the scented variety). Appearance-wise- the plants look
very healthy. Lots of green leaves- but no flowers.

Should I add some type of nitrogen food? what appears to be the
problem?

Located in the N. East part of the USA
Thanks!
KOS

Please, Don't fertilize, especially with nitrogen. Pelargoniums mostly
prefer warm, dry, and potbound for best flowering. Dark, damp, wet
conditions just make them put out leaf growth. They will flower when the
weather settles.

Sue
Western Maine

JoeSpareBedroom 05-06-2006 04:12 AM

Geranium question.

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
hello,
I have a few pots of geraniums and I noticed that they are not
flowering. (not the scented variety). Appearance-wise- the plants look
very healthy. Lots of green leaves- but no flowers.

Should I add some type of nitrogen food? what appears to be the
problem?

Located in the N. East part of the USA
Thanks!
KOS

I'm curious: Where did you get the idea of adding nitrogen?

Myrl Jeffcoat 05-06-2006 04:50 AM

Geranium question.

I have several pots of Geraniums that haven't been repotted in a couple
of years. I just sprinkle them with a little Miracle Gro. Right now
they are blooming like crazy.

I live in Northern California. Our plants, trees, and bushes, are just
now coming out of the long belated Winter we had.

I saw that there was snow last week in New York. . .So it may be the
weather that is affecting your's.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Mindful 05-06-2006 04:05 PM

Geranium question.

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
hello,
I have a few pots of geraniums and I noticed that they are not
flowering. (not the scented variety). Appearance-wise- the plants look
very healthy. Lots of green leaves- but no flowers.

Should I add some type of nitrogen food? what appears to be the
problem?

Located in the N. East part of the USA
Thanks!
KOS

I use either Miracle Grow on mine or Expert Bloom Burst as soon as I put
them outside after the last frost date here. They're soon blooming. That
is both scented and regular geraniums. Scented bloom a bit later than the
regulars. All like full sun with good air circulation. I use a fertilizer
high in phosphorus or phosphate, not nitrogen.

Johnny Borborigmi 05-06-2006 11:47 PM

Geranium question.

On 2006-06-04 20:36:07 -0400, "KOS" said:

hello,
I have a few pots of geraniums and I noticed that they are not
flowering. (not the scented variety). Appearance-wise- the plants look
very healthy. Lots of green leaves- but no flowers.

Should I add some type of nitrogen food? what appears to be the
problem?

Nitrogen is for leaf growth, not flowers. Use a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 or
Miracle grow. Does it get enough sunlight?