Old 08-06-2006, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Janet Price

Default odd iris

I have a variety of iris at home and this year three plants have odd
blooms on them I've never seen before. I don't know if they're just
blooming for the first time or if they're defective or virus or the
result of some accidental cross. Both petals and sepals are narrow and
it's bearded.

A photo is at http://www.amherst.edu/~jkprice/yaws/odd-iris.gif

The image is sort of large, but I did want you to be able to see how odd
it is.

Should I just rip it out now so it doesn't spread?

Janet
Old 08-06-2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel-Donnie Kelly

We have a wild Iris that looks a lot like that. It dates back to 1800
when a settler put a note about it in his journal that he had a wild
Iris that grows down by the creek. He had just homesteded the land.

Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down
town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc

http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird

Old 08-06-2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Janet Price" wrote in message
I have a variety of iris at home and this year three plants have odd
blooms on them I've never seen before. I don't know if they're just
blooming for the first time or if they're defective or virus or the
result of some accidental cross. Both petals and sepals are narrow and
it's bearded.

A photo is at http://www.amherst.edu/~jkprice/yaws/odd-iris.gif

The image is sort of large, but I did want you to be able to see how
odd it is.

Should I just rip it out now so it doesn't spread?

Heck no, some grower might want to buy it from you. I think it's
beautiful. I wouldn't mind having one myself as when plants do odd
things like this, I find it fascinating and exciting.

Janet

Old 08-06-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Elbrecht

Janet Price wrote:

I have a variety of iris at home and this year three plants have odd
blooms on them I've never seen before. I don't know if they're just
blooming for the first time or if they're defective or virus or the
result of some accidental cross. Both petals and sepals are narrow and
it's bearded.

A photo is at http://www.amherst.edu/~jkprice/yaws/odd-iris.gif

Looks like Blue-Flag from here. Let the seed pods form, and if they
hang down intead of upright like 'normal' iris, then I would be more
certain.

I have a Yellow Flag volunteer that I've admired for about a decade.
I've never touched it and it is now a healthy clump about 4 feet in
diameter.

-snip-
Should I just rip it out now so it doesn't spread?

Why would you do that? Even if it is some freaky new breed of Iris,
it sure doesn't hurt anything-- and I for one think it is pretty.

Jim
Old 08-06-2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Janet Price

Thanks for your responses.

Both sepals and petals are sort of heavy and stiff. These three stalks
are in the midst of iris that look like this:

http://www.amherst.edu/~jkprice/yaws/bearded-iris.jpg

And I gotta say that I like this one better. Perhaps what I'll do is
mark both kinds and at least separate the odd ones and see what they do
next year.

Janet

Old 08-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Registered User

Smile

Jim Elbrecht Janet Price wrote:

[...]

your iris is really pretty. i for one would not rip it out its not doing any
damage why take out something special that u have been blessed with.
for some reason if things dont look perfectly normal to us we seem to
try and change it. in this case im hoping that u listen to everyone and
count your blessings that u have something so special and pretty in
your garden. cyaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Anony moose

"Janet Price" wrote in message
I have a variety of iris at home and this year three plants have odd blooms
on them I've never seen before. I don't know if they're just blooming for
the first time or if they're defective or virus or the result of some
accidental cross. Both petals and sepals are narrow and it's bearded.

Could be a hybrid that has reverted to species, or maybe a new hybrid. It
looks like a wild type, quite attractive. The American Iris Society might be
able to give you more info. http://www.irises.org/

Old 08-06-2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Janet Price" wrote in message
Thanks for your responses.

Both sepals and petals are sort of heavy and stiff. These three
stalks are in the midst of iris that look like this:

http://www.amherst.edu/~jkprice/yaws/bearded-iris.jpg

And I gotta say that I like this one better. Perhaps what I'll do is
mark both kinds and at least separate the odd ones and see what they
do next year.

Well, they both are very pretty. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the
mutant or "odd" one. It almost looks like a lily. I hope you don't
lose it when you separate it. They're pretty hard to kill. A
greenhouse dumped a bunch of one, and there they were, growing on the
side of the ravine.

Janet