Old 15-06-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Default Mum's are budding.

It is June 14, I have not pinched my mums, what happens if my mum
starts to bud out? They are not crazy -leggy. Can I still pinch them?
If they bloom now (Maryland) will they bloom again in the fakk?

Old 15-06-2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

higgledy wrote:

It is June 14, I have not pinched my mums, what happens if my mum
starts to bud out? They are not crazy -leggy. Can I still pinch them?
If they bloom now (Maryland) will they bloom again in the fall?

Do not let them bloom now unless you want fewer bloom that only last a
short time and it is likely that they will not re-bloom in the fall. In
your area you can pinch back your mums until about the middle of July.
It is best to start pinching them back when the blooms just start to appear.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 15-06-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is June 14, I have not pinched my mums, what happens if my mum
starts to bud out? They are not crazy -leggy. Can I still pinch them?
If they bloom now (Maryland) will they bloom again in the fakk?

If they're not budded pinch them. I'm in northern Al and mine are blooming
so never got to pinch them. They never bloomed this early before. They're a
deep maroon red.

Old 15-06-2006, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Andy MPLS 44:59:56 N - 93:19:3.018 W

Mindful wrote:
"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is June 14, I have not pinched my mums, what happens if my mum
starts to bud out? They are not crazy -leggy. Can I still pinch them?
If they bloom now (Maryland) will they bloom again in the fakk?

If they're not budded pinch them. I'm in northern Al and mine are blooming
so never got to pinch them. They never bloomed this early before. They're a
deep maroon red.

I was at a small greenhouse nursery in Minneapolis, and the mums were
blooming, and I asked about that, this was in mid-May. The guy told me
they got the mums from a larger grower who said they fooled the plants
with lights, because people don't buy mums till they bloom. Here in
Minnesota mums bloom really late, so I found that kind of sad.
I bought some to experiement with them, and the ones I cut off all the
blooms are doing well, the ones that I just nipped the blooms off, are
woody, and not doing so well. I'm waiting to see what happens in the
fall.