Old 16-06-2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
BB

Default 'drip irrigation advice/experience needed

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote in news:x%kkg.24561
:

I know nothing about the issue other than glancing at some stuff at
Wal-mart and looking on Ebay. I have 2-3 areas in my backyard I may try
to set up for this.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has advice on brands to use/avoid or
books/websites with some general guidance.

I've been rather happy with Raindrip. (Even though the 1/2 gallon per
hour inline drippers don't seem to fare too well on my high-mineral-
content well water; they seem to clog up fairly quickly.)

I've never read any books or web sites. I started in with this Drip
System thing with one of those Patio Watering Kits. It had/has a little
booklet inside which showed how to set things up and some guidelines for
designing the system. (Don't worry, it isn't difficult unless you have a
MAJOR operation to set up.)

The pressure compensating (PC) drippers go at the end of the line and
seem to be doing better for me than the inline. (Again, with the well
water; didn't have nearly as much of a problem when I was on city water.)

In using the Full Circle Spray (not the bubblers) I've noticed they work
best when on their own 1/4" line to the 1/2" distribution. That is:

O--------||
O----------||
O--------||

Rather than

O ||
| ||
O--+--------||
| ||
O ||

Doesn't seem to matter as much with the bubblers. (The type that send
streams of water rather than a spray of water.)

I used a 15 psi pressure regulator for a time; but that didn't seem to do
very much. 25 psi seems to be better for me.

I've also seemed to have better luck using the screw caps for the end of
the line rather than the Figure-8 thing. (You'll know what I'm talking
about when ya see it.)

As far as how I have mine connected it's:

Hose Bib/Faucet --
Timer --
Pressure Regulator --
Anti Siphon --
Threaded swivel --
1/2" distribution line

On a line that goes up the hill with the requisite drop in PSI I've left
off the Pressure Regulator and the timer and simply connect (via a quick
connect system) the Anti Siphon to the hose and turn it on for as long as
I want to water.

How's that for too much useless information??

--Bryan

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *