GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plants at Wal-Mart (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/14685-plants-wal-mart.html)

Warren 14-04-2003 04:44 AM

Plants at Wal-Mart

Snooze wrote:

Corporations get a lot more financial mileage out of their donations,

then
regular folks like you and I get. Especially when they donate

products.
Remember they get to deduct the market value of their donations, which

is
full retail, not the wholesale value.

Plus they get to put a sign at park, press coverage etc, all that say
"plants provided by Wal-Mart". In effect tax-deductible

advertisements.

That's a far cry from saying that businesses only donate to charity
because of the tax deduction, and doesn't explain all the cash donations
that never even make it to a press release.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

B & J 14-04-2003 05:56 AM

Plants at Wal-Mart

"Cereoid-XXX" wrote in message
. ..
Figures that butt kissing BJ would be in support of Wal-Mart. They don't
call him BJ for nothing. Did you kneel before the late John Walton?

And there goes Asteroid-30 into orbit again. It is a tale Told by an idiot,
full of sound and fury; Signifying nothing. Shakespeare said it eloquently!

B & J 14-04-2003 06:20 AM

Plants at Wal-Mart

"Cereoid-XXX" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for that unbiased testimonial, Scooter.

Too bad the only reason you recommend it is because you admit you are

having
sex with the employees there. I hear that's why BJ got involved with
gardening too!

Somehow I think that's has to be your problem Asteroid-30. You must suffer
from a lack of loving/sex. Why else would anyone spew forth so much venom
except a frustrated psyche? (Psych. 101) Good service or treatment is
something that should receive commendation. Your verbal pollution adds
nothing to this ng even though some think it's "cute." BTW, check the
derivation of "cute."

John

B & J 14-04-2003 06:32 AM

Plants at Wal-Mart

"Phisherman" wrote in message
It's all about the garden manager. Some do their job, others don't
(or have a boss that won't let them). This happens in other stores
too.

Thank you for that note of sanity. The person in charge of our local
Wal-Mart garden center is a quality employee who knows and loves his job. I
make it a point to make a comment to the management when I receive
exceptionally good service, be it from a waiter, a technician, or service
person who does repair work at my home. Too many people don't live in the
real work and think exceptional service is their due because they're the
"Lord High Poobah."

John

zhanataya 14-04-2003 08:56 AM

Plants at Wal-Mart

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:22:12 -0500, "B & J"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
It's all about the garden manager. Some do their job, others don't
(or have a boss that won't let them). This happens in other stores
too.

Thank you for that note of sanity. The person in charge of our local
Wal-Mart garden center is a quality employee who knows and loves his job. I
make it a point to make a comment to the management when I receive
exceptionally good service, be it from a waiter, a technician, or service
person who does repair work at my home. Too many people don't live in the
real work and think exceptional service is their due because they're the
"Lord High Poobah."

John

I agree. I would have said Dittos but your liberal heart wouldn't
have appreciated it. ;-)

zhan

[email protected] 14-04-2003 02:08 PM

Plants at Wal-Mart

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 07:54:41 -0500, "None"
wrote:
The reason the plants are dead is because none of the big box stores own the
merchandise until you buy it. The grower is the one who must pick up the
plants and take the loss.

As to the few stores with live plants. The grower provides the store with a
merchandiser to care for the plants. Just more loss for the grower.

Last year growers that serviced these stores went bankrupt left and right.
Three were here in my state and I'm sure more are to follow and maybe then
they will see that the mass markets are not made for plants.

BUY FROM A REPUTABLE LOCAL GARDEN CENTER is my best advice.

I do, and I'd like to do it a lot more often. I just have a real hard
time paying double or triple the price I can get elsewhere.

I tend to browse a number of stores, including both garden centers and
the evil giant discounters. That way I know what's available, what
their quality is, and what the going rates are. I tend to buy from
all of them.

I've also seen some pretty sad looking plants at some garden centers,
so its not just the superstores. I'm not sure how some of them stay
in business. I guess that maybe after the spring and early summer
rush, they've made their profits for the year. Can they write off
plant losses?

Swyck

Snooze 14-04-2003 08:08 PM

Plants at Wal-Mart

"Warren" wrote in message

That's a far cry from saying that businesses only donate to charity
because of the tax deduction, and doesn't explain all the cash donations
that never even make it to a press release.

Small businesses donate because truly care about the cause, or want to give
back to the community. Large corporations may have individuals that care
about the community or cause, but there are always accountants, marketing
and spokespeople, doing their job, to maximize the benefits.

Large corporations orchestrate their behavior a lot more then people
realize. Hint, have you seen any commercials for gasoline since this war
started?

Polar 14-04-2003 08:32 PM

Plants at Wal-Mart

wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
It's all about the garden manager. Some do their job, others don't
(or have a boss that won't let them). This happens in other stores
too.

Thank you for that note of sanity. The person in charge of our local
Wal-Mart garden center is a quality employee who knows and loves his job. I
make it a point to make a comment to the management when I receive
exceptionally good service, be it from a waiter, a technician, or service
person who does repair work at my home. Too many people don't live in the
real work and think exceptional service is their due because they're the
"Lord High Poobah."

Four cheers! Same M.O. here.

I just got off a note to the cable company about the good service and
friendly personality of the installer. No stats, but I fear that far
more people complain than praise.

Besides, I was brought up with, and can't seem to shake, this
silly philosophy that one should always try to leave a situation
better than before.

(Confession: Many breaches of said philosophy, but always
regroup and keep working on it.)

--
Polar

Polar 14-04-2003 08:32 PM

Plants at Wal-Mart

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 21:07:58 -0400, "Buzzy"
wrote:

I went to my local Wal-Mart Supercenter (in Mount Pleasant, TX) last

week to
look at some flowers for my gardens. They were the most pitiful looking
things I've ever seen! I almost cried! At least 3/4 of their plants
(flowers, veggies, EVERYTHING) was either dead or dying. Seems to me

they
should hire some people for that department that know what the hell

they're
doing:( I'm thinking I may call the corporate offices and complain.

Poor
plants, didn't have a chance with the people they've got working there

now!
Maybe I should go work there, LOL! Ok...just wanted to vent...

Angie

Yet another reason not to shop at the Evil Corporate Giants. Go to a
local garden center instead. Yeah, I'm preaching, I know.

I calls it giving rational advice. I go to local garden centers where
I am known, treated with respect, cheerfully offered exchange-refund
on request if plants/seeds N.G., and generally feel I am dealing with
human beings instead of an "Evil Corporate Giant" (love it!)

Polar

Personally, I love to go to the road side stands that we have along a few of
the lesser travelled highways here in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. They
have some excellent choices for bedding plants, and they take excellent care
of them too. Most are grown on site (not all), and best of all, I find that
the individuals who work at these places are very knowledgable! Besides, I
can trade a banana box filled with Canna tubers for a hanging planter every
year! :)

On that same note, we are truly fortunate in my area to have four (4)
farmers' markets every week. They are strictly controlled such that
only "homegrown" products may be sold; no retailing of wholesale
acquisitions.

Also, over the years I have noticed increasing popularity of organic
produce and other food items; percentage rising.

--
Polar

Polar 14-04-2003 08:32 PM

Plants at Wal-Mart

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:28:00 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:38:16 -0700, Polar wrote:

Now that is one helluva story!! Stand tall man/lady! You have major
cojones, or the female equivalent, as the case may be. On your death
bed (may you be spared for many years), will you be glad you did
weapons spec work, or that you worked with living things that brought
joy to yourself and others.

You made my day!

Well, of course I am far more happy to have brought life to the planet, than
death. The parts I worked on were for Boeing commercial jets, not fighters.
Weapon Spec is the quality of the assembly and soldering, etc, not necessarily
assembling weapons.

Either way, the best thing I did was take the job at the garden center. After
years of trade shows, and such...I doubt I could do that work any more. I'd
much prefer to water the pansies if I were to go back to work. Believe it or
not, I've never hired ONE PERSON who knew how to properly water flats of plants
or pots.

Uh, oh! Is there something I need to learn? What IS the proper way?

--
Polar

Polar 14-04-2003 08:44 PM

Plants at Wal-Mart

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:08:25 GMT, "Snooze"
wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message

Why stop at corporate donors? Everyone gets to write-off donations. By
your logic, no one would donate otherwise.

Also, keep in mind it's a tax deduction, not a credit. If your marginal
tax rate is 40%, and you write-off a $100 donation, you'll save $40 in
taxes. But if you don't donate the $100, even after paying the $40 in
taxes, you'd still have $60 in your pocket that you wouldn't have if you
made the donation.

So donating and writing it off doesn't mean you're saving any more money
for yourself. You're still taking money out of your pocket.

Corporations get a lot more financial mileage out of their donations, then
regular folks like you and I get. Especially when they donate products.
Remember they get to deduct the market value of their donations, which is
full retail, not the wholesale value.

That's what I was trying to say, but you explained it much better.

Plus they get to put a sign at park, press coverage etc, all that say
"plants provided by Wal-Mart". In effect tax-deductible advertisements.

Precisely. Got a chuckle out of that. No ads this year at the Augusta
Open, because the management still refuses to admit women. So guess
who the locals are mad at, due to their loss of revenue? You guessed
it: Not the Open management -- Women! Those pesky, pushy critters!

--
Polar

jammer 15-04-2003 12:44 AM

Plants at Wal-Mart

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:53:14 -0500, "Angela Coffey"
wrote:

I went to my local Wal-Mart Supercenter (in Mount Pleasant, TX) last week to
look at some flowers for my gardens. They were the most pitiful looking
things I've ever seen! I almost cried! At least 3/4 of their plants
(flowers, veggies, EVERYTHING) was either dead or dying. Seems to me they
should hire some people for that department that know what the hell they're
doing:( I'm thinking I may call the corporate offices and complain. Poor
plants, didn't have a chance with the people they've got working there now!
Maybe I should go work there, LOL! Ok...just wanted to vent...

Angie

I would have cried too. The local walmart here sells good quality
plants. I have taken back one in 13 yrs and that was due to my
ignorance. Last year i chose the wrong time to try and get tomatoes,
it was just after a freak freeze and everything they had looked like
crap, but they soon replaced everything.....

zone 7 HEB area, Tx.

B & J 15-04-2003 03:32 AM

Plants at Wal-Mart

wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
It's all about the garden manager. Some do their job, others don't
(or have a boss that won't let them). This happens in other stores
too.

Thank you for that note of sanity. The person in charge of our local
Wal-Mart garden center is a quality employee who knows and loves his job.

make it a point to make a comment to the management when I receive
exceptionally good service, be it from a waiter, a technician, or service
person who does repair work at my home. Too many people don't live in the
real world and think exceptional service is their due because they're the
"Lord High Poobah."

John

I agree. I would have said Dittos but your liberal heart wouldn't
have appreciated it. ;-)

zhan

Who told you that we liberals don't recognize and appreciate quality? I
learned long ago when working with kids that public recognition of
exceptional work keeps it coming. Carping about rotten service usually does
little good. When I get taken by a business or service, I don't go back for
more and let friends know so that they can avoid similar treatment. Economic
punishment is an effective.

And, zhan, a "ditto" from a conservation would have been the ultimate
compliment! :-)

John

Snooze 15-04-2003 08:44 AM

Plants at Wal-Mart

wrote:

Either way, the best thing I did was take the job at the garden center.

After
years of trade shows, and such...I doubt I could do that work any more.

I'd
much prefer to water the pansies if I were to go back to work. Believe

it or
not, I've never hired ONE PERSON who knew how to properly water flats of

plants
or pots.

Uh, oh! Is there something I need to learn? What IS the proper way?

Set the nozzle to the jet stream setting, turn the water faucet on all the
way, and aim at each individual cell in the flat, from about an inch or so
away! :)

I use empty flats as starter pots for my seedlings, but since I only use a
flat or two, I just use the "mist" setting on the nozzle, and slowly go over
each cell. But I suppose if I had to water a few dozen flats every day, I'd
quickly go mad.

Sameer

zhanataya 15-04-2003 04:44 PM

Plants at Wal-Mart

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:15:27 -0500, "B & J"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message

I agree. I would have said Dittos but your liberal heart wouldn't
have appreciated it. ;-)

zhan

Who told you that we liberals don't recognize and appreciate quality? I
learned long ago when working with kids that public recognition of
exceptional work keeps it coming.

And my grandchidlren taught me; Don't praise their results, the
feedback is negative. Praise their efforts.

. Carping about rotten service usually does
little good. When I get taken by a business or service, I don't go back for
more and let friends know so that they can avoid similar treatment. Economic
punishment is an effective.

And, zhan, a "ditto" from a conservation would have been the ultimate
compliment! :-)

John

I was concerned Dittos would have raised the spectre of Rush.

zhan