Old 28-06-2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default aphids on cherry tree?

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just purchased a new (old) house and in the corner of the
lot is a cherry tree that's absolutely infested with aphids. It's not
huge - About 10 feet tall and 10 feet in diamter.

What's the best way to get of these critters and bring this tree back
to its former happy state?

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old 29-06-2006, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Any general broad scope insecticide should do the job. Check the label for
specific
bugs it attacks and if it is suitable for fruit trees. Don't forget protective
gear, including a breather mask and try for a calm day.

Sherwin D.

Old 29-06-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Ornata wrote:

What's the best way to get of these critters and bring this tree back
to its former happy state?

In the longer term, try hanging some bird-feeders to attract small
birds to the area. They will eat the aphids.

I am fortunate enough that my ivory-colored garage sits directly in
front of my vegetable garden. I used to have significant aphid
problems. Then one ear the asian ladybugs moved in (they were imported
as home garden pest controls) and I have never had problems since. The
aphids reappear in late october, after te ladybugs have turned in for
the winter. thousands of them overwinter in the garage, since in their
home range they overwinter in ivory-colored rock cliffs.
So, if you can find a way to maintain a ladybug population, they will
eat nothing but aphids.

Old 30-06-2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

A 2% soap solution is the quickest & best aphid control.

Thanks for the tip - I gave it a good drenching yesterday, so we'll see
what happens.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old 01-07-2006, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

The thing that bothers me about a soap solution is that these leaves are curled
up, almost like a small cocoon. The soap spray would have to actually land on
the underside of these leaves to do their job. That's why I think the chemical
approach
may have a better chance of getting them.

Sherwin

Old 18-07-2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

The thing that bothers me about a soap solution is that these leaves are curled
up, almost like a small cocoon. The soap spray would have to actually land on
the underside of these leaves to do their job.

I gave it a second soapy drenching last night, so we'll see. The
leaves are definitely 'cocooned' but I was pretty vigorous in my
spraying, so hopefully I'm OK. If it doesn't work I'll give the
chemicals a try.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old 19-07-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

The problem with soap sprays are that they kill by contact. When the leaves are
rolled up, it is very difficult to coat the underside of them, to do the job.
Chemicals on the other hand form more of a mist that has a better chance of
reaching the aphids.

Sherwin D.

risingsungardens wrote:

In my opinion, chemical controls are overkill for aphids. In addition
to soap spray and ladybugs, control the ants that are likely
harvesting aphid "honeydew" by applying a sticky barrier
like tanglefoot around the trunk of the tree. Also keep in mind that
pests often attack compromised plants. Aphids tend to be associated
with drought stress. Assess the overall health of your tree.
I hope this helps.

[IMG] code is On

Universal spray for aphids, and other apple tree leaf problems? AL_n United Kingdom 3 23-08-2014 12:24 PM
aphids/green fly on a plum tree Tiger303 United Kingdom 0 30-04-2004 09:11 AM
Aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 2 26-02-2003 06:51 PM
aphids Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 10 25-02-2003 03:52 AM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM