Old 30-06-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug

Default ID this tree/plant/whatever (pic)

Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are
deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...d/Img_1063.jpg

Old 30-06-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lucky

Doug wrote:
Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are
deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...d/Img_1063.jpg

I would say either Pecan or Walnut. Search Google Images and see if
you can find matching pics.

-Jason

Old 30-06-2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

Doug wrote:
Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are
deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...d/Img_1063.jpg

I vote for tree of heaven (Ailanthus)

Old 30-06-2006, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Doug said:

Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are
deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...d/Img_1063.jpg

Tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima) a nasty, stinky, weedy tree.
Best removed when first sprouted as they develop hellishly persistant
root systems which relentlessly resprout.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 30-06-2006, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
glenon

I vote for sumac.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 30-06-2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gloria

Looks like sumac....

Gloria

oups.com...

Old 30-06-2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

glenon wrote:
I vote for sumac.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Could be.
The OP should look at the leaflets. Sumac has toothed leaflets,
but the ailanthus has only lobes at the bottom of the leaflets.
Another common name for ailanthus is Chinese Sumac and I
always remember it as the Tree that Grows in Brooklyn.

Old 30-06-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
James

"Lucky" wrote in message
ps.com...

Doug wrote:
Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are
deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...d/Img_1063.jpg

I would say either Pecan or Walnut. Search Google Images and see if
you can find matching pics.

-Jason

Looks too bushy for walnut.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default I think it's sumac, too.

"Gloria" wrote in message

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but they pop up all
around here. I consider it a nuisance plant although the leaves get
pretty in the fall.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
glenon

The only good thing about sumac is if it's Staghorn Sumac (the kind with the
points of the plant are covered with berries), it makes great pink lemonade!
and high in Vit. C.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 02-07-2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin

It looks a little bit wrong for smooth sumac, but I can't say exactly
how it looks wrong.

I have smooth sumac against the south side of the house, being a
lightweight tree. Its disadvantage is that it dies and/or breaks
sort of randomly, but it gives a nice screening shade pattern
in the summer. It sends up all sorts of shoots except where you'd
like some more. Lawn mowing takes care of them in short order.

Some of the trees have berry bunches that last into the next spring,
where early Robins and late Cardinals get them.

When they mature, they're pretty tall and leave the lower altitudes
leaf-free, so you get a nice old-growthy forest in a few years.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 11-07-2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
doug.

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Several of these are popping up randomly in my yard. They are
deciduous and grow very fast, like a few feet per year. What is it?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...d/Img_1063.jpg

To Doug.

My nom-de-plume is also Doug.
No problem,