Old 30-06-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
jerseycat10

Default Identify this weed?

My yard has seen an amazing turnaround in just the last year. The past 2
years I was complaining about almost 100% crabgrass coverage. I took it
very seriously, and now I can only find the occasional crabgrass plant. I
powerseeded in the fall, and was meticulous in my usage of pre-emergent
crabgrass preventer. The powerseeded grass came up thick and lush,
effectively choking up most crabgrass.

But I digress...

The one weed I had last year that seems to have come back is the one in the
following pictures...

http://www.bookac.com/Images/Lawn/weed1.jpg
http://www.bookac.com/Images/Lawn/weed2.jpg

This weed seems to grow in packs, in small sections of my front yard. It is
not deeply rooted, and is easy to pull. Can anyone identify it, so I can
treat it properly? It grows really high, about twice the rate of my grass,
so it sticks out after 4-5 days after mowing.

Old 30-06-2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:40:54 -0400, "jerseycat10"
wrote:

[...]

It's nutgrass and very difficult to get rid of. If you pull it out,
make sure you do it in softened soil, well watered and get the whole
nutlet, any rootlets and any stolons or it will be back in ten
minutes. I believe only one thing on the market is recommended for
it, and that's called Image. I'm not sure IT works that well.
Old 30-06-2006, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
jerseycat10

What you said about pulling it out makes sense. Seems no matter how much I
pull, it always comes back.

Thanks for your response.

Old 30-06-2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
jerseycat10

Is this IMAGE product safe for use on a standard fescue blend lawn like
mine? Does it kill grass too?

Old 30-06-2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

I actually don't know, as I've never used it. It is not organic, or
natural. I'm sure you can look it up and get all the indications.

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:35:29 -0400, "jerseycat10"
wrote:

Is this IMAGE product safe for use on a standard fescue blend lawn like
mine? Does it kill grass too?

.. .