Old 04-07-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
vivian

Default Various Tomato Problems

As I've acknowledged in previous posts, I'm pretty much a novice at
gardening, so all help is appreciated.

I live in Zone 4, where in June we had next to no rain, but high
humidity.

Up until this week I thought my tomato plants were all thriving, but
now I'm having problems with two or three varieties (I planted a dozen
different kinds -- so far the others still look good, with lots of
fruit on each.)

The leaves on my brandywine tomatoes have looked excessively curled
pretty much since Day One, but the plants have always kept growing and
are now putting out flowers. (I planted the brandywines near last.)
Now, however, many of the leaves have started to look either chewed
upon or in various stages of disintegration, especially where they're
touched by the metal support cages. Are there
bugs/blight/viruses/fungi that prefer brandywine leaves exclusively,
but no other kind? Could the metal (galvanized tin?) be contributing
to or accelerating leaf morbidity? So far I haven't lost an entire
plant yet and the top thirds of them still look healthy.

On one whole branch of my yellow plum tomatoes, the bottom of each
fruit has a big brown/black mushy spot. The branch in question is
mostly in the shade, and so far none of my other yellow plums (many
are close to eating stage) have been affected. Not knowing what to do
I've picked and discarded the spotted tomatoes. Is there anything else
I should/can do?

Some of my cherry tomato plants are experiencing a lot of yellowing
leaves. Is this most likely due to excessive watering?

How do you know when green zebras are ready to eat?

Once again thanks for any help.

viv
Old 04-07-2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Garwood

I can only answer, or attempt to answer, a couple of these questions.
I too am growing Brandywine too, as well as Better Boys and Big Beefs.
Since your leaves are curling during the day, I suspect it is due to
loss of water. Try mulching the plants for more consistent water
retention. I use grass clippings which work very well for me.

The black mushy spots on the bottom of your tomatoes are due to a
calcium deficiency and is known as blossom end rot. You can apply some
dolomitic lime which has calcium in it. Unfortunately, it will take
several months to be absorbed into the plant.

Garwood

vivian wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Various Flowers - Tulipa-Turkomania_CU_2_2001.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 05-04-2009 11:33 AM
Various Flowers - Daylily-Mauve.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 05-04-2009 11:30 AM
Various options for seeding lawn? Mark Smith Lawns 0 23-05-2004 08:06 PM
Various yard questions Sharon Lawns 11 29-09-2003 10:02 PM
FS: Various bits and bobs UK Mark Trueman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 07-09-2003 04:15 AM