Old 11-07-2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron H

Default too many apples?

OK, I've done the pruning ( last winter) fungus spray, and pesticide spray
and watered well now I think my tree has too many apples. Literally! I mean
there are apples everywhere! What do I need to do to help the tree with this
load? I have heard of people making braces from 2X4s and propping up limbs.

Ron in West Central Wisconsin

-----------------
-----------------
Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Steve

http://www.mrs.umn.edu/pyg/tips/fruits/tip_1013.shtml
Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Ron H wrote:
OK, I've done the pruning ( last winter) fungus spray, and pesticide spray
and watered well now I think my tree has too many apples. Literally! I mean
there are apples everywhere! What do I need to do to help the tree with this
load? I have heard of people making braces from 2X4s and propping up limbs.

One apple for 25 leaves, so thin until you get that ratio. The
leftover apples should be reasonably well distributed around the tree.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Hi Ron,

First of all, you don't mention anything about thinning the apples. If they
are growing in clusters, you should reduce them down to the largest and cleanest
of the
group. Also, along any branch there should not be more than one apple every
five
or six inches (this number can vary with the variety). I have used wooden
boards
with padding to support both apples and stone fruits. Thinning as described,
should
reduce the requirement for lots of supports. Thinning will give you fewer
fruits, but
larger in size and probably more flavorable, since the tree is not distributing
its energy
over too many fruits. Leaving a tree overbear can also lead to bienniel
production
of fruit.

Sherwin D.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jan Flora

In article ,
"Ron H" wrote:

OK, I've done the pruning ( last winter) fungus spray, and pesticide spray
and watered well now I think my tree has too many apples. Literally! I mean
there are apples everywhere! What do I need to do to help the tree with this
load? I have heard of people making braces from 2X4s and propping up limbs.

Ron in West Central Wisconsin

Thin the apples. Spread your hand out as wide as you can, thumb to
pinky. Pick every apple between your thumb and pinky. That's the
width you want between baby apples.

My Master Gardener trainer has a PhD in Pomology (fruit trees).
That's what he taught us to do.

Sometimes, even after you thin like crazy, you'll *still* have
a big fruit load on a branch. *Then* you can prop branches up
with poles or 2x4's.

Jan in Alaska
growing apples, cherries & pears in Zone 3
59N, 151W

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.