Old 26-07-2006, 05:36 AM posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,rec.animals.wildlife,sci.misc,rec.gardens,rec.birds

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Pearly Wood Nymph

This strange apparition was found hanging on the glass of the back door
a few nights ago.

When the wings are spread for flight, it looks like lots of other moths
but when folded up for rest, it well deserves it's unofficial common
name, "Bird Poop Moth".
js

Old 28-07-2006, 03:31 PM posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,rec.animals.wildlife,sci.misc,rec.gardens,rec.birds

Cate wrote:
I think this might be Beautiful Wood Nymph (Eudryas grata).

Could be but the only obvious visual difference is the color of the
edges of the wings which are described as dark for grata.

Looking at http://bugguide.net/node/view/44283 it certainly is much
darker than the photo I posted.

js

Old 28-07-2006, 05:02 PM posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,rec.animals.wildlife,sci.misc,rec.gardens,rec.birds

Compare the scalloped outer edge on the white area of the forewings--in the
Pearly, it always appears jagged and in the Beautiful it's smooth. I'm not
sure color is a good criteria for moths as there always seems to be so much
variation. Look at the other photos on the link below

http://bugguide.net/node/view/3057/bgimage.

Also look at the bottom photo in the link you reference -- it's not nearly
as dark as the
top photo. The scalloping difference is also described in Covell (Eastern
Moths).

I'm certainly no expert here but I have wrestled with this problem in my own
photos just recently.

ar

Old 19-08-2006, 05:04 AM posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,rec.animals.wildlife,sci.misc,rec.gardens,rec.birds

Cate wrote:

Compare the scalloped outer edge on the white area of the

forewings--in the Pearly, it always appears jagged and in the Beautiful
it's smooth.

Ah so... I was looking at the margins of the wings and missed white area
you referred to. Pretty convincing... I will change my web page.

Thanks,

js

Old 19-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered User

Smile

Jack Schmidling]Cate wrote:

Compare the scalloped outer edge on the white area of the

forewings--in the Pearly, it always appears jagged and in the Beautiful
it's smooth.

Ah so... I was looking at the margins of the wings and missed white area
you referred to. Pretty convincing... I will change my web page.

Thanks,

js

what an interesting moth i like how the edges are on this moth its cool.
thanks for sharing with us . cyaaaaa, sockiescat.