GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Violets (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148619-violets.html)

[email protected] 11-08-2006 06:34 PM

Violets

I have had violets for years. They sit in a window with indirect light
and flower often. I water them by soaking them in a bowl of water for
1 hour once a week. I was told never to get the leaves wet. Sometimes
they have leaves that go straight up and sometimes I get leaves that
look soggy and flop down. Should I only have one per pot or can there
be more? Any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks,
Dale

Bill R 11-08-2006 09:15 PM

Violets

wrote:

I have had violets for years. They sit in a window with indirect light
and flower often. I water them by soaking them in a bowl of water for
1 hour once a week. I was told never to get the leaves wet. Sometimes
they have leaves that go straight up and sometimes I get leaves that
look soggy and flop down. Should I only have one per pot or can there
be more? Any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks,
Dale

Dale,

I suppose you are talking about African Violets. They should always be
in their own pot and need to be fertilized often. It is natural for
some leaves to die.

There is tons of information on the net about them. Just use your
favorite search engine and you will find anything you need to know about
them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

To see pictures from my garden visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Phisherman[_1_] 11-08-2006 10:27 PM

Violets

On 11 Aug 2006 10:34:40 -0700, "
wrote:

I have had violets for years. They sit in a window with indirect light
and flower often. I water them by soaking them in a bowl of water for
1 hour once a week. I was told never to get the leaves wet. Sometimes
they have leaves that go straight up and sometimes I get leaves that
look soggy and flop down. Should I only have one per pot or can there
be more? Any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks,
Dale

I assume you are referring to African Violets. You can grow these as
one crown per pot to get a symmetrical plant. Or, you can grow
several crowns in one pot. They grow best in a pot that is not too
large--4" is about the ideal largest. As the plant grows the lower
leaves die and new leaves appear from the center. Cold water on the
fuzzy leaves can leave an ugly spot. Use African Violet potting soil
for best results. Filtered morning sun is good.