Old 11-08-2006, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Violets

I have had violets for years. They sit in a window with indirect light
and flower often. I water them by soaking them in a bowl of water for
1 hour once a week. I was told never to get the leaves wet. Sometimes
they have leaves that go straight up and sometimes I get leaves that
look soggy and flop down. Should I only have one per pot or can there
be more? Any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks,
Dale

Old 11-08-2006, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11 Aug 2006 10:34:40 -0700, "
wrote:

I have had violets for years. They sit in a window with indirect light
and flower often. I water them by soaking them in a bowl of water for
1 hour once a week. I was told never to get the leaves wet. Sometimes
they have leaves that go straight up and sometimes I get leaves that
look soggy and flop down. Should I only have one per pot or can there
be more? Any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks,
Dale

I assume you are referring to African Violets. You can grow these as
one crown per pot to get a symmetrical plant. Or, you can grow
several crowns in one pot. They grow best in a pot that is not too
large--4" is about the ideal largest. As the plant grows the lower
leaves die and new leaves appear from the center. Cold water on the
fuzzy leaves can leave an ugly spot. Use African Violet potting soil
for best results. Filtered morning sun is good.

[IMG] code is On

violets in lawn Larry Lawns 3 14-07-2003 02:02 PM
African Violets D_Mozina Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
African violets cc0058529 Gardening 3 24-03-2003 10:08 PM
multiple african violets in the same pot???? Ted Byers Gardening 3 09-03-2003 07:57 PM
best way to water African Violets Iris Cohen Gardening 5 06-03-2003 05:39 AM