GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mysterious flowering tree in my garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148728-mysterious-flowering-tree-my-garden.html)

[email protected] 15-08-2006 05:44 AM

Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

Jangchub 15-08-2006 01:36 PM

On 14 Aug 2006 21:44:45 -0700, wrote:

Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

It looks to me like witch hazel.

CB 15-08-2006 02:01 PM

Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

I think it looks like some kind of cherry tree. Leaves are too pointy for
witch hazel, I believe.

Lar[_1_] 15-08-2006 03:03 PM

Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

In article .com,
says...
:) Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
:) me please?
:)
:)
http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html
:)
:) Regards Declan,
:) Botanically challenged,
:) Okazaki, Japan
:)
:)
Guessing a flowering cherry or plum species. You might look up Prunus
serrulata a type of flowering cherry..there are several varieties that
have slightly different flower looks.
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Elaine 15-08-2006 03:31 PM

Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

I vote for some kind of cherry tree.
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b
"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article .com,
says...

Val 15-08-2006 09:40 PM

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On 14 Aug 2006 21:44:45 -0700, wrote:

Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

It looks to me like witch hazel.

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

[email protected] 16-08-2006 04:24 AM

Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

Lar wrote:
In article .com,
says...
:) Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
:) me please?
:)
:)
http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html
:)
:) Regards Declan,
:) Botanically challenged,
:) Okazaki, Japan
:)
:)
Guessing a flowering cherry or plum species. You might look up Prunus
serrulata a type of flowering cherry..there are several varieties that
have slightly different flower looks.

Serrulata was one of my earlier guesses, but the leaves and petal
structure seem quite different to any images I've been able to find to
compare it with. I'll try to post some pics of those leaves that
haven't been entirely devoured.

Regards Declan

told2b 16-08-2006 06:55 AM

Val wrote:

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

[email protected] 16-08-2006 07:34 AM

told2b wrote:
Val wrote:

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

Stinking hot, humid, middle of summer, beer garden time of year.

Regards Declan

Ann 16-08-2006 09:58 AM

Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

"told2b" expounded:

Val wrote:

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

That is definitely not a Hamamelis, it's some form of a cherry. The
leaves are totally wrong, and the color is off for 'Diane'.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Stewart Robert Hinsley 16-08-2006 06:50 PM

Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

In message .com,
writes
Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

Try "Prunus persica" in Google, rather than "Prunus persia"
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

told2b 16-08-2006 07:41 PM

Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

Ann wrote:
"told2b" expounded:

Val wrote:

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

That is definitely not a Hamamelis, it's some form of a cherry. The
leaves are totally wrong, and the color is off for 'Diane'.
--

Sorry for confusion. I was trying to answer Val not Declan.