Old 15-08-2006, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mysterious flowering tree in my garden

Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

Old 15-08-2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 14 Aug 2006 21:44:45 -0700, wrote:

Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

It looks to me like witch hazel.
Old 15-08-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
CB CB is offline

I think it looks like some kind of cherry tree. Leaves are too pointy for
witch hazel, I believe.

Old 15-08-2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
says...
Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

Guessing a flowering cherry or plum species. You might look up Prunus
serrulata a type of flowering cherry..there are several varieties that
have slightly different flower looks.
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Old 15-08-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

I vote for some kind of cherry tree.
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b
"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article .com,
says...

Old 15-08-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On 14 Aug 2006 21:44:45 -0700, wrote:

Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

It looks to me like witch hazel.

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Old 16-08-2006, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Lar wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

Guessing a flowering cherry or plum species. You might look up Prunus
serrulata a type of flowering cherry..there are several varieties that
have slightly different flower looks.

Serrulata was one of my earlier guesses, but the leaves and petal
structure seem quite different to any images I've been able to find to
compare it with. I'll try to post some pics of those leaves that
haven't been entirely devoured.

Regards Declan

Old 16-08-2006, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

Old 16-08-2006, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

told2b wrote:
Val wrote:

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

Stinking hot, humid, middle of summer, beer garden time of year.

Regards Declan

Old 16-08-2006, 09:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"told2b" expounded:

Val wrote:

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

That is definitely not a Hamamelis, it's some form of a cherry. The
leaves are totally wrong, and the color is off for 'Diane'.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 16-08-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message .com,
writes
Would some kind soul be able to help identify this flowering tree for
me please?

http://www.declan.tv/gardening_misad...e_is_this.html

Regards Declan,
Botanically challenged,
Okazaki, Japan

Try "Prunus persica" in Google, rather than "Prunus persia"
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-08-2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
"told2b" expounded:

Val wrote:

Those blossoms look like witch hazel to me also. I also seem to remember
reading about a pink or red witch hazel somewhere, only it's not actually a
Hamamelis, the flower just very much resembles this. Don't have time to
power Google now, maybe later if somebody doesn't give it a shot first.

Val

Hamamelis X intermedia 'Diane'

Is it winter in Japan now?

That is definitely not a Hamamelis, it's some form of a cherry. The
leaves are totally wrong, and the color is off for 'Diane'.
--

Sorry for confusion. I was trying to answer Val not Declan.